Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stevia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CookNewb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Stevia Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience using it? How does it taste? Does it affect texture at all? Does it impart any off or odd flavors when used?
Thank you for all replies!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried Stevia in coffee, and I don't like it. It has an aftertaste and does and not taste genuinely sweet. It tastes a little bitter to me.

Give me the fake stuff, like Splenda, Equal or Sweet & Low (in decreasing order of my preference) anytime. Yes, I know all the things supposedly wrong/bad with each of them.
CookNewb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find aspartame (Equal) to have a bad, bitter and "artificial" aftertaste. Is Stevia as bad? Also which form was the Stevia leaf in? (i.e. powdered leaf or processed)
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stevia was in little packets sold as "natural" sweetener. Yech! You can get it in most natural food stores.

I generally stay away from aspartame (although the taste is better than sweet-n-low) because I used to get headaches when I had a lot of coffee with it. As far as diet sodas are concerned, I stick with Pepsi ONE if I am having a lot because that uses Splenda.
ktexp2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried "Truvia" today which is only partially stevia; its apparently mostly erythritol which has 0.2 calories per gram, so at 3 grams in each packet, makes it actually 0.6 calories per serving. Which is better than Splenda, whose dextrose and maltodextrin fillers have 3.31 calories per packet (supposedly, I don't know the actual ratio). I think I'll stick to Splenda for most things, since the watered-down "rebiana" had a weird licorice aftertaste. I like licorice in general, but it tasted a little weird in my tea. Some people might like that. I imagine full-blown stevia would have a much stronger taste.
Blue Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some liquid stevia someone gave me (it's a nuisance to dole out just a couple of drops) -- it doesn't taste too good in tea or coffee, but seems OK in oatmeal.
njwoods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all,
I really do not like stevia, it is far too sweet and the aftertaste is ugly too.

They seem to put it into every so called healthy treat, protein drinks and all that jazz. I think I will stick with good old sugar for now.

for all your fave candy and chocolate...candy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum