Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Idiot-proof Alfredo recipe needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktexp2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Idiot-proof Alfredo recipe needed Reply with quote

I cannot, for the life of me, make alfredo sauce. And canned sauce is not particularly good. I'm not necessarily sure what my malfunction is. I've used cream, milk, lemon, romano, parmesan, I feel like I've tried every recipe imaginable. This annoys me to no end. Especially since a former roommate had no problem with it; but everything else she made was either tasteless, burnt to a crisp, or rubbery.

Someone please help me get over this malfunction.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KT -

heat comma too much of?

basically you melt the butter, add the cream and get it warm. too much heat can "break" it. needs rather frequent / near constant whisking - use a whisk, not a spoon.

I like to "reduce" the cream - low heat, whisking, let some water evaporate / get driven off. a big diameter pan works better than a tall small diameter (surface area thing....)

the cheese is the thickener - again, low heat to melt the cheese. too high a heat can make the cheese come apart at the seams....
ktexp2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps - I am a little on the impatient side. I will try lower heat and wider pot!
MisterKorbel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patience is definitely needed for that dish.
tryditmyself

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Easy Alfredo Reply with quote

Try starting with a light white sauce. The cheese stays suspended and the sacue won’t separate or get greasy when reheated. My recipe yields 1 quart of sauce. After I melt my butter I add crushed garlic. I like lots of garlic so I use 2 cloves. I sauté the garlic in, then add corn starch. Remember you want a light white sauce so easy does it on the CS. I then add my half & half and cook till thickened. I have a double boiler so I transfer the white sauce into my double boiler to finish it off. I add a cup of fresh grated Parmesan. If you are like my son and like to taste the salt, add more cheese. Double boiler or regular pot, you still have baby sit it with stirring until it melts and smooth’s out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum