Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucelee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: simple salmon variation, 15 minutes no flipping required Reply with quote

Here is a simple recipe that doesn't require a grill or even flipping, just a broiler.

Ingredients
Wild caught salmon filet with skin on
Salt
Fresh ground pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon

Equipment
Oven with broiler access
Reynolds Non stick aluminum foil (really works)
Metal baking sheet or roasting pan
Oven mitts

Procedure
If salmon is in fridge, take out at least one hour prior to cooking and get as close to room temp as possible. Make sure filet is clean and dry. Set oven to broil and place baking sheet in oven or under broiler. Objective is to get the metal as hot as possible prior to placing salmon on it.

Take 5 minutes to prepare the salmon while metal is heating. Place salmon skin side down on non-stick side of aluminum foil. Add salt and pepper immediately before cooking. Position the foil and fish so it is easy to slide onto the metal baking sheet (on a counter for example). DO NOT cover wrap fish with foil, merely use it as a "plate".

This is the most tricky part of the recipe. Once the metal is as hot as possible, take out of oven and slide the foil with salmon onto it. Be very careful as the pan will burn you instantly. It should sizzle and start cooking right away. This is what you want. Place under broiler about 2-3 inches away from heating element. Leave broiler door/window open as you will be cooking with direct heat and you need to watch the fish cook.

WATCH CAREFULLY. The filet will take no more than 10 minutes to cook, most likely less depending on size/thickness of filet. If anything, this step requires all your attention so as not to burn the fish. Once top of filet is browned, take out. Salmon will continue to cook as it cools. Drizzle with high quality olive oil and squeeze juice of lemon. Perfectly cooked salmon should be very moist and slightly pink at the center of the thickest part. This method will guarantee cooking through the filet from top and bottom with the timing based simply by the browning of the top of the filet.

Some tips
Spend the extra $ for quality salmon. Wild caught is best.
Marinate as you like but it may interfere with the browning process.
Bringing salmon as close to room temp as possible prior to placing in over is essential for predictable cooking.
Herbs such as fresh chopped dill can be added when taken out of oven.
Method will work for whole salmon filet or portions and other fish.

enjoy.
Dot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Orange Salmon Reply with quote

Since my husband had a heart attack we eat a lot of fish and chicken. I take the skin off the salmon (I read this is where most of the contaminants are) and brown it top side down in a little margarine in a skillet. I then add about an inch of orange juice and a tablespoon or two of brown sugar. When cooked halfway through, I flip the salmon and finish cooking it. When done, I plate the salmon and reduce the orange juice and brown sugar to make a glaze which is then poured over the salmon. It can be served with segments of orange cooked in the glaze. I even had a friend suggest adding rum to the glaze. Delicious!
jvanbelkum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Grilled is good, but if you have to wash the dishes anyway.. Reply with quote

... try cooking the Salmon in the Dishwasher.

Filet of Salmon
2 pieces of foil
butter
lemon
salt
pepper
dill

Place the Salmon on the foil
place a few slices of stick butter on the Salmon
Salt, Pepper, Dill, lemon juice to taste
Cover with the other piece of foil and fold the edges to seal

Place the foil package in the top rack of the dishwasher.
Load the dishwasher with dirty dishes and soap.
Run the Regular wash cycle.

When the Regular cycle is done, your dishes are clean and the Salmon is fully cooked. I've tried this twice and the Salmon came out perfectly delicious both times. The heat of washing and drying the dishes apparently steams the Salmon to perfection. Enjoy.
neeki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about cooking the salmon over the dishwasher: !! i'm not sure if you're joking, but i'm really tempted to try that and see how it works out. i guess then its possible to cook it over any viable source of heat. like my old laptop.

just want to know if anyone has ever used the hfcs maple flavoured syrup in this recipe and how it turned out. i like the real stuff myself, but its ridiculously expensive where i live.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Cooking Temperature for Grilled Salmon Reply with quote

There are lots of references to cooking salmon until the appearance is opaque. Does anybody know what temperature this corresponds to?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>appearance is opaque

that's in the 130-140'F range.

>>cooking in the dishwasher
yup. that works - with the caveat you need a "drying cycle" - that boosts the dishwasher air temp to 'dry' the dishes. messy. there are easier ways . . .

>>hfcs maple syrup
can it. use the real stuff. it's expensive but you don't need three quarts to flavor a salmon steak/filet; 2-3 tablespoons is enough for a 2-3 pound filet; half tablespoon per steak works around here...
gconnors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: that white stuf that oozes out after cooking salmon Reply with quote

the white stuff that oozes out of cooked salmon is not normal.....this indicates it is farmed!...this is the crud they feed and inject into the fish.

wild cooked salmon has lines of whiter areas that are their fat..but it does not ooze out.

white stuff from farmed salmon....UCK!...badbadbad...beware!
ak fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: re: that white stuf that oozes out after cooking salmon Reply with quote

It's a naturally occuring protein. I have a freezer full of wild alaskan salmon that does the same thing. I've noticed that it helps prevent these white globs if if I let the salmon warm up to room temp before cooking.
Kamekzi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Loved it! Reply with quote

I tried this earlier as part of an effort to introduce more variety in my family's dinner menu. It was a big hit and I'm looking forward to making this again.I was a little put off by the taste of the soy sauce, though. I'm thinking of going with teriyaki next time.

Here is how it came out (I apologize for the image quality, but we were eager to eat while it was nice and hot):
smk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

I love salmon and this recipe sounds so delicious - I`ll try it!! Another great way to prepare salmon is with Teriyaki sauce (since I`ve tried in a restaurant, it's one of my favorite way :-)

I've also found nice salmon recipes
on this SITE: http://www.weloveseafood.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Grilled Salmon Reply with quote

I like to flavor Salmon with Orange Juice & a bit of worchtesire sauce, a dash or two of pepper and garlic... makes a nice glaze... and if you're out of OJ.. a little orange marmalade works fines

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Excellent recipe! I'm eating my first try of it now, and it's delicious! I was even using some cheap salmon fillets I found at wal-mart (I'm a college student), and it tastes amazing. I'll definitely be using it again. Thanks!
Branko

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: that white stuf that oozes out after cooking salmon Reply with quote

gconnors, you are an idiot. How the heck do you know that if white stuff comes out it is farmed salmon?

quit posting your idiotic nonsense here, you idiot... People hate it when they are asking a legitimate question and some idiot who doesn't have a clue has to chime in

More white stuff comes out if the Salmon is very cold (like partially thawed) before cooking.

It is denatured protein and is OK to eat...

It has happened when I have cooked salmon in Alaska, fished right out of the waters in Alaska many many times,

-------------------------------
On September 01, 2009 at 05:46 PM, gconnors (guest) said...
Subject: that white stuf that oozes out after cooking salmon
the white stuff that oozes out of cooked salmon is not normal.....this indicates it is farmed!...this is the crud they feed and inject into the fish.

wild cooked salmon has lines of whiter areas that are their fat..but it does not ooze out.

white stuff from farmed salmon....UCK!...badbadbad...beware!
gracey4u

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Delicious Recipe, and not all Oregonians have boats Reply with quote

I love your layout and I am an engineer, so I must love it for that reason.

I wanted to make a couple comments:

1. There's a lot of different soy sauce brands and flavors, so if someone is put-off by a certain soy sauce, it's worth it to try another one. I am partial to the Maggi brand imported from France (German and US imports of the same brand are not even close).

2. No all Oregonians have boats. Nor do they want to tell everyone "I'm an Oregonian and this is how we eat salmon in Oregon." Personally I am from Oregon and I buy my salmon from Costco.

3. To the omega-3 comments: Omega 3 comes from many sources, and might be in farm fish was well. Salmon, and this recipe, are just delicious. Even if it made me rotund and sluggish, I would eat this.

Thanks MC!

G
kitchen boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Loved it! Reply with quote

Kamekzi wrote:
I tried this earlier as part of an effort to introduce more variety in my family's dinner menu. It was a big hit and I'm looking forward to making this again.I was a little put off by the taste of the soy sauce, though. I'm thinking of going with teriyaki next time.

Here is how it came out (I apologize for the image quality, but we were eager to eat while it was nice and hot):

Wow, from its picture, i can feel the aroma of delicious. hehehe Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: