Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blow Torch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MommaBlogger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Blow Torch? Reply with quote

I have a recipe that wants me to use a blow-torch to finish the meringue topping, however I don't happen to have one on hand. Does anyone know where I can find a tiny one for very inexpensively, or an alternative way to finish the meringue?

I need to find out as quickly as possible. I don't have a broiler (except in my toaster oven), and I'm not sure that I can get away with baking the meringue because it's a cupcake topping.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Smile
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Blow Torch? Reply with quote

MommaBlogger wrote:
I have a recipe that wants me to use a blow-torch to finish the meringue topping, however I don't happen to have one on hand. Does anyone know where I can find a tiny one for very inexpensively, or an alternative way to finish the meringue?

I need to find out as quickly as possible. I don't have a broiler (except in my toaster oven), and I'm not sure that I can get away with baking the meringue because it's a cupcake topping.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Smile

Run down to your local hardware (we have Ace Hardware here), they have all sizes. GO !!!

Biggles
MommaBlogger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need cash for that Wink I think I'm going to attempt using the gas burner on my stove top, we'll see how that goes Big smile
SirShazar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tiny butane ones that are made for creme brules kinda suck, so I use a propane torch. You can find propane torches pretty much everywhere (Wal-Mart, hardware stores, auto-stores).
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely go to any hardware store and get yourself a Bernz-o-matic propane torch (NOT MAPP gas). They are not expensive, and once you have it, you'll use it for lots of things in the kitchen.

For this time of year, the propane torch is great for melting and crusting brown sugar glaze on a ham.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely hoping to get one soon. There have been a few recipes I've avoided because of the lack of a blowtorch.

The open flame on my stove top worked pretty well though. Perhaps a bit more charring than the blowtorch would have provided, but it was great fun lighting the cupcakes on fire!
Blue Pilgrim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap propane torches actually are fairly cheap, but you can also find cheap hot air guns or on sale (look in the painting section, where they are used to take off old paint) which I think work even better and are more versatile -- they generally have two heat settings.

There are some people at web sites who talk about how they made coffee roasters using heat guns. One is http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1164000407 and you should also find something at http://www.homeroasters.org/php/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=32

(This is just the thing for sleepy engineers!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum