Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flavour For My Grilled Chicken Breast (no Skin)., Need help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
82camaro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that I'm eating leftovers from the BBQ chicken breast right now for lunch. Big smile
Johneegeek

I use a seasoning I from my local spice place:
http://www.thespicehouse.com/product/product_159_description.php
(after brining of course Big smile )

You could also come up with your own "chicken rub" Wink
BME

Salad Dressing! Why make this any harder than it needs to be?

I use italian. All you have to do it let it sit in it for about an hour and grill/bake/cook
Dr. Biggles

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BME wrote:
Salad Dressing! Why make this any harder than it needs to be?

I use italian. All you have to do it let it sit in it for about an hour and grill/bake/cook

Hey,

Yeah, I tried that a long time ago. The vinegar was really too strong for me. Made my mouth go thwach. If you're going to make it simple, just use EV Olive Oil and the squeeze of a lemon half or two. Just enough acid to make a difference. Sprinkle with cayenne or paprika. OR some Spanish Smoked Sweet Paprika!

Something else you could try is to make a curry paste out of EV oo with minced onion and roast that. Garnish with fresh cilantro and calamatta olives. Yum.

Biggles

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple ways I like to make grilled skinless chicken:

1. Rub Adobo seasoning (found in the Latino food section) and olive oil all over the chicken pieces, then grill or broil. Simple and delicious.

2. Make a marinade of mayonnaise, lemon juice, Adobo and pepper (or lemon pepper). The consistency should be thin, so add water if you don't like too much lemony flavor. Soak chicken pieces in marinade overnight (if possible) in fridge. Grill or broil - watch carefully, as mayo tends to burn. Throw excess marinade out unless you cook it to kill any bacteria. I like this recipe because you are, in essence, brining the chicken which always helps to add flavor.

Also, if you ever have access to a big outdoor grill, try Cook's Illustrated's recipe for Beer Can Chicken (a whole chicken, dry-rubbed with spices and cooked on a beer can). It's awesome.
Niko

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, few more thoughts that trickled into my head after my last post:

The beer can chicken recipe calls for either a brined OR kosher chicken. You may want to try finding kosher chicken breasts if you don't have time to brine.

Typically one would grill the chicken first, then brush on the desired sauce before serving. Since you're looking to add a sweet BBQ flavor, brush the sauce on the chicken near the END of grilling if you must. Adding a sugary coating before grilling is an invitation to burned meat!
Chef Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really simple to liven up basic grilled chicken with a marinade. Experiment with your own cominations of herbs and liquids. Favorites are flavored vinegars, lime juice, lemon juice or even orange juice; olive oil, wine, cooled chicken stock can even be a base. Garlic, ginger, any chopped hot peppers, ground mustards, can be combined with any of your favorite herbs. Dried work well in marinades as they get a bit reconsituted in the liquids but fresh are always great.

Check out this site and experiment with your own flavors:
http://www.ehow.com/how_17347_make-basic-marinade.html

Happy Grilling!
Amida0616

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Try this Reply with quote

Buy a bone-in skin-on breast. After you cook it let it rest and then remove the skin. You will get a more delicious and moist breast.
MartinD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite chicken marinade is a simple mediteranean one - equal quantities of lemon juice and good olive oil, lots of finely chopped garlic, salt and pepper and a handful of whatever (preferably fresh) herbs you have lying around. You can add the zest of the lemon too for extra zing.Throw the lot into a plastic bag or dish with the chicken, ensure it is coated and leave for between twenty minutes and an hour (any longer and you risk degrading the meat due to the astringency of lemon juice).

Prior to marinade, you can either cut the meat into cubes, ready for addition to a kebab, or bash the breast flat with rolling pin. Cook under the grill or on the BBQ, baste with remaining marinade, and try to get some char colour on the meat, as it tastes great. Serve with fried potatoes, Tzatziki/Raita and a side salad. Yum!
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the sauce described under the buffalo wings recipe
it works a treat especially with pork or chicken
nina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: marinades etc. Reply with quote

A lot of your recipes sound great but so many use store bought bottles of wierd stuff. That is not cooking. it is horrible. Most of them have tons of MSG in them. Try using simple herbs and spices with real plant names not things like Jack belly or Cowboy or whatever those funny names are they are not real ingredients they are composite chemicals that mostly tast sweet and salty. The other point is that if you talk about local brand names like that they are not reciepes you can pass on because they are only available in america. Go get brave try , oregano, lemon , chilli, rosemary ,etc. they are so tasty and so healthy.
Smillie - OzFire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I Agree..... sorry....
when I said wousteshire sause I meant .....

Fats
three Table spoons butter or duck fat.

Fresh Ingredients
2 onions
2 shallots
2 cloves of garlic.
1 chilli pepper

Wet Ingredients
1/2 Cup of soy sauce
1 cup of vinegar
1 cup molasses
1 Cup water

Dry Ingredients
5 cloves
1/2 Tablespoon black pepper

Packaged foods
2 Table Spoons of chopped tamarind
15 filets of anchovy

Method
1. fry off onions shallots and garlic till caramelized.
2. add dry ingredients - stir well - till well browned.
3. add wet ingredients and packaged ingredients
4. simmer for about 1/2 hour
5. blend till smooth, mix then add another cup of vinegar strain and bottle

Age for a month or so before you use
brueggjr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do almost anything to liven chicken breasts up. They are a blank pallet, if you will. You can use lemon-pepper by itself, bbq sauce, jerk seasoning, essence and garlic is also a favorite. What about other marinades like teriyaki or basic itallian dressing?

The sky is really the limit.
kskerr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: Salad Dressing Reply with quote

I also use salad dressing as a marinade, any salad dressing. Italian has already been mentioned but I also find ranch, and caesar to be good. So far I have not found a dressing that did not make for good flavored chicken. Once I used a dressing that I found gross on salad to be great on the chicken, perhaps that extra flavor the grill adds gave it what it was missing. Another trick I have used, though not when grilling, is to throw seasonings in the bag with the breast as it is thawing, then it is marinaded in them and the broth/juice it lets out.
heyyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: slightly OT Reply with quote

homegreene-
Someone testing how well odors wash out of fabrics used Cardini salad dressing to scent the fabrics. Polypropelene was notorious for not washing clean so new synthetic fabrics were tested to avoid that problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum