Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Oven Baked Spare Ribs - Two Ways
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OJ's for ham, not ribs. At least that much is. I'd say use molasses. Molasses is to ribs as steroids are to athletes. Without the averse side-effects, of course.
JT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: OVEN RIBS Reply with quote

Okay folks, the ribs I made last week were fantastic. The recipe is simple.
ONE CUP OJ (ANY KIND) MIX WITH 3/4 BOTTLE OF SWEET BABY RAY'S
BBQ SAUCE. MIX VERY WELL. PLACE 2 RACKS OF RIBS IN SHALLOW BACKING DISH. BONE SIDE UP. SEAL TIGHT WITH FOIL. 3 HOURS AT 250. PLACE UNDER BROILER FOR 3 OR 4 MINUTES. SLATHER WITH REST OF SAUCE. IT'S SO SIMPLE, A 5TH GRADER CAN DO IT. ENJOY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Baby back Reply with quote

How should the times be varied if this is tried with baby back ribs?

I know they should cook faster but to me (and at such a low temp) 2 hours sounds like a good time.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Baby back Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
How should the times be varied if this is tried with baby back ribs?

2 hours is good
todd9920

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: please dont foil or parboil Reply with quote

Listen here oven men and oven women

No foil, no par boil, do a dry rub and cook at 225 to 250 for 3 hrs for a very small st. louis rack. 3 to 4 hrs for med rack. 4 to 5hrs for big rack. slice ribs and broil just until sizzlin, flip broil again just til sizzlin. serve sauce on side. Even better do all this in a smoker with charcoal and wood. I am a truck driver and prefer the smoker much better but they cook well in the oven too. Rib tips and rib brisket take up to 6 hrs at this low temp. They are what are trimmed off a whole rack of spare ribs to get the st louis cut of ribs. Have fun just givin my opinion.
master rib

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: good stuff man Reply with quote

this was a great idea but the dry rub is super tasty delicious over ha haaaaa what thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Foil?? Reply with quote

When I'm cooking the ribs why do I have to wrap them in foil tightly. I always thought I could just put a lid on. Isn't a lid on top good enough? That way I'd be able to keep pouring my baste over it.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Foil?? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
When I'm cooking the ribs why do I have to wrap them in foil tightly. I always thought I could just put a lid on. Isn't a lid on top good enough? That way I'd be able to keep pouring my baste over it.

You can use a lid without a problem. The foil was suggested because most people don't have lids on their roasting pans large enough to accommodate ribs.
Sashi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Rib recipe Reply with quote

Thank you, my boyfriend is a spare rib fanatic and is always looking for the perfect recipe to build on. I'm going to save this one for him and I'll post again after we've eaten them to let you know how it went.
Chicken Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: If I were a pig Reply with quote

If the tables were turned, and a pig was cooking and eating the ribs off of my body.. I would take some pleasure in the fact that they were following a recipe as tasty and easy to follow as this one. The alternative to this of course, being eaten alive by wild wolves, is much less savory and appealing to the taste buds. So to any pigs out there cooking humans following a similar recipe... bon apetit!
qwertycookin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: one more twist Reply with quote

After baking for 3 hours I grilled the ribs for 5 minutes on med - high heat. This gave me the exact texture that I was looking for.
Scrapiron_jawbone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Oven Ribs Reply with quote

I use a different sauce concoction, but the cooking time & temp here are solid. Wonderful results after about 130 minutes. I can't bear to wait longer than the minimum. Thanks for posting this.
neeki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the simplest recipe ever...and yields really fantastic results. the only thing is that i have to decide i want ribs two hours before i should eat them.

i've tried varying the times at which i take the aluminum foil off, and i've found that the longer it's left off, the more the crust develops. right now, i like to leave it off for half an hour to forty five minutes. and i place the ribs membrane-side up first, then flip later to develop the crust on the meatier side. also, after flipping, i like to glaze the rack with a half and half mix of barbeque sauce and honey every fifteen minutes to help with caramelization and...well, just because i have a weakness for honey glazed ribs. i know it releases heat from the oven and moisture...but i haven't really noticed a different in the final product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: quick 'n' easy sauce Reply with quote

pressed for time? out of ingredients?

A quick 'n' easy sauce for ribs or chicken can be made from just 2 ingredients:
    Pick-a-Peppa sauce
    Peach All-Fruit (or similar)

Use enough Pick-a-Peppa to cover the ribs, plus a bit to add after turning, then add peach jam to taste.

If you want, add a teaspoon of olive oil.

Used saved mixture to baste.
Crush

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: I dont like my meat sweet, I like it spicy!!! Reply with quote

Teasing I dont like my meat sweet, I like it spicy! I really dont like ketchup or BBQ sauce as it taste like 10 lbs of sugar is n it. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for cajun or even lemon pepper BBQ sauce. As long as its not sweet. I dont have diabetes, but hyper or hypo (i cant ever remember which one) glaucimia. If my sugar gets to high, it wont kill me, but makes me wish I was dead I feel so crappy. So Im making ribs tonite and I need some kind of recipe that wont throw my sugar out the roof. Thanx! Crush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: