Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Density of Meat Mixture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenzint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Density of Meat Mixture Reply with quote

Hey there again

Seeing that my previous question was answered and sorted out within minutes, I have another one:

I've worked out my density of the pastry - thanks for your help with that.

Now I want to work out the density of a meat mixture - obviously the formula is the same, but the problem is that the mixture won't really have a breadth, width or height. It'll be a kind of "stew" type mixture.

I am so lost all over again, any help would be great.

Thanks Shock
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a small piece of meat-brisket or whatever you like to use, about 100 grams and weigh it exactly. Then place it in an accurate measuring vessel calibrated in milliliters with enough water to completely cover the meat. Measure the total volume of water with and without the meat inside the vessel. That will give you the volume of the meat. Divide the weight (mass) by its volume and you will have the density of the meat in grams/ml.

You can do the same thing with the vegetables and then do a weighted average for all the ingredients.

OR, you could take a portion of the raw ingredients or the finished stew, weigh it and then do the dame thing with the water bath for volume to have the density of the finished stew. Of course, you probably won't want to eat that "test" serving.

Last edited by GaryProtein on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenzint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

This could take a while, but let me see how I go with this!
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Simpler approach with a plastic ziploc bag - no waste Reply with quote

Take a plastic ziploc bag. Weigh it. Write down the weight. (Might be best to do this in grams)

Take a few spoonfuls of your mixture and put it in the bag. Weigh the bag including the mixture and write it down

Fill a measuring cup or other graduated container (would be easiest if it's measured in milliliters) half-full of water. Take note of how much water is in the cup. Stuff the bag down into the cup and write down the new level of the water.

Now subtract the weight of the empty bag from the weight of the bag+mixture. This is how much your mixture weighs. (You can now put back the mixture with the rest of it).

Subtract the level of the water in the full cup from the level of the water in the half-full cup. This is how much water you displaced, or the volume of the mixture. Divide the weight of mixture by the volume displaced and you have your density.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see why the density of the pastry could be important because there is a certain flakiness and texture involved and because baking really is organic chemistry synthesis in the kitchen, but why is the density of a stew so important???????
Tenzint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll give it a try.

As to why I need the information on the denisty of the "stew", we are in the process of designing additions to our range of pie production machinery and as such we need to know the formulas (or methods) to ensure that the machines can be manufactured to client specifications.

Thanks for all your help.
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic bag method won't be too accurate unless you use a Foodsaver or something.
Tenzint

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Howard. Luckily, I have one of those. Today is "experiment" day, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Teasing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum