Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

turkey cook time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: turkey cook time Reply with quote

Hi Mike – great sight, here’s my question.

Re; Thanksgiving Turkey

I understand that cook time versus weight is not linear – that makes sense to me. However, all things being constant, does a bird cook faster the longer it is in the oven? That is, if it takes 10 minutes to raise the core temp of the bird say, 15’celcius, does it take another 10 minutes to raise it another 15’C?

I’m not sure why, but I think not. The bird cooks from the outside in, leaving an ever decreasing surface area (or rather, an isothermal surface) over which the heat has to flow. Also, as the bird cooks, the mean thermal conductivity and specific gravity would be changing wouldn’t it….?

Cheers,

Mike
FranksPlace2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Heat Transfer 101 would say that the highest heat flux would occur when there is the largest temperature difference between the oven and the bird, that is when you first put it in.

However as the bird cooks, moisture evaporates and the specific heat goes down. So there is a larger temperature increase for the same heat flux.

All I know is the temperature seems to increase the fastest right at the end of cooking. So watch it.
Chef Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heat moves through food only through convection.

as the molecules move faster (inc in temp) that heat is transfered faster.

so if the bird is say 400 degrees F on the outside that heat will be transfered very fast to the inside....the bird starts out ar 38 degrees F until the outside heats up to a high temp...very little energy is transfered to the inside so small temp increase for a while till the thing actuall heats up on the outside....

also air is a crappy medium for convective cooking.....FAT is more dense so cooked in a fryer at 4oo degrees will take way less time as more molecules are hitting the outside of the bird per second thereby heating the outside and transfering their energy much faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum