Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what do you use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you use to open melon or squash?
butcher knife
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
cleaver
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

CynthiSu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: what do you use? Reply with quote

What does everyone use to split open melon, squash and pineapple?

I'm rethinking my knife collection, currently consisting of only a paring knife and a nakiri. My current collection does not allow me to split open big, raw vegetables and fruits. I'm thinking about adding a BIG knife for those tasks.

My question: what does everyone else use?

I'm thinking cleaver or butcher knife.

Thanks for any ideas!

Cynthia
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10 inch Wuesthof chef knife that does winter squash just peachy keen....

and watermelon

pineapple normally I whack with the 8 inch chef - it's not so beeg , , ,
CynthiSu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a deba cleaver that mentions acorn squash as one of the things it cuts. So, my search is over. Thanks for the input!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a large chef's knife.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For watermelons, pineapples, cantelopes, and honeydews I use a 12" Tojiro chef's knife. For squash I use a combination of knives (utility for peeling, chinese cleaver for splitting, and chef's knife for choppnig).
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
I have a 10 inch Wuesthof chef knife that does winter squash just peachy keen....

and watermelon

pineapple normally I whack with the 8 inch chef - it's not so beeg , , ,

I'll also take the 10" Wusthof chef knife. Works just fine.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what do you use? Reply with quote

CynthiSu wrote:
What does everyone use to split open melon, squash and pineapple?

I'm rethinking my knife collection, currently consisting of only a paring knife and a nakiri. My current collection does not allow me to split open big, raw vegetables and fruits. I'm thinking about adding a BIG knife for those tasks.

My question: what does everyone else use?

I'm thinking cleaver or butcher knife.

Thanks for any ideas!

Cynthia

Something sharp, something long and preferably thin. And, something I can whack with a wooden kitchen mallet if I need to.

Biggles
chefjeff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 12" chefs knife, as much as I like those fancy knives, I get Tramontina's w/NSF white handles at the restaurant supply. They're cheap and really work well. chefjeff
tryditmyself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Splitting Melons & Squash Reply with quote

Large chef knife.
Cornelius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do own a cleaver, because when you need one, you need one. However, I seldom use it, unless I am, for example, hacking up a raw chicken in order to make stock, and I don't much care how pretty the result is.

By "butcher knife," I think you probably mean a chef's knife. My chef's knives are the most important knives in my arsenal. I have two: a large one, and a smaller one. A nakiri is sort of the same thing, but they are a bit more delicate. If you prefer the Japanese knives, a deba bocho can take the place of a chef's knife. Whichever you choose, a good, sturdy, large knife like this is almost indispensable in any kitchen.

BTW, a deba bocho is also frequently referred to as a kitchen cleaver, but is not at all the same thing as the heavy, sturdy, and rather clumsy thing many people think of as a cleaver.

So, regarding your poll, my answer, apparently, is "yes," until I understand exactly what you mean by the names you are using for the knives. Smile
IDontUse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8" chefs should work fine for everything, just keep it sharp. No point in spending money on a cleaver when a chefs knife has so many other uses.
jwhooper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used cleavers for a long time, but after receiving some really good chef's knives one Christmas, they haven't been used much.

Unless I need to chop through bones, or split a large gourd or melon, I can't imagine anything that a cleaver could do better than a chef's knife.

However, I would never get rid of my cleavers. It is just too much fun to hack things in half like Conan the Barbarian.
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a cleaver for the squash and a really long chef's knife for the melons.

With acorn squash, I start the cut until the cleaver is firmly embedded in the squash, then lift both knife and squash like a hammer and bring it down on the counter with a good whack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum