Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Marshmallows
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked out fine not using cornsyrup... the only thing i didn't like was that i thought it was too sweet and had a touch too much vanilla.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn syrup isn't available in my area, but I did find something called 'Dextrose' The bag says it's 'grape-sugar' (which should be frustose), but the description is something between glucose and fructose. I'm pretty sure it isn't sucrose (normal sugar), so I think it should work in the recipe. However, because it isn't in syrup form I have to juggle a bit with the amoun of water.
Is there any sort of guideline of how much water I should use, when substituting solid sugars, instead of syrup?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More complete history of marshmallows:

http://reddingpalm.com/shns/rstory.cfm?pk=MARSHMALLOWS1-02-14-05&cat=DD
radeon

wow, Marshmallows seems very tasty! nice recipe.
KittyBean

I have been making vegetarian marshmallows for years. I use the same recipe as CfE, with the exception of the gelatin. Agar reacts very similar to gelatin, however it will not melt in room temp water the way gelatin does. If you ever took a microbiology class and had to make agar plates, then you know it can be melted and re-melted at low temps. I keep the agar on the lowest temp possible, and other than that I do exactly what was described in the recipe. The fake gelatin I use is an unflavored agar/carageenan mix that I bought a couple of years ago at a natural foods store. I store it in an airtight container and I've made 5 or more batches of marshmallows with it. I like to cut mine square so they make nice s'mores.
MarshMallowLover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, lovely suggestions!! thanx all of uSmile
Lazy

The best part is the "skin" that forms as they dry a little. It reminds me of the old Campfire marshmallows that came in cellophane wrapped boxes in the '50s. Who remembers? It was when people would smoke in the store and put their butts out on the floor. If memory is right, the "jet-puffed" bagged style came out about 1960-1962. Until I started making my own, I had trouble eating marshmallows since they took my Campfire boxes off the shelf.
Lazy

By the way... I forgot to ask and/or suggest;

I put mini semi=sweet chocolate chips in, at the very end before placing in the tray... also, a little peppermint flavor and coloring for swirls is a great fun activity for kids (and adults)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe! Has anyone tried making Chocolate Flavored Marshmallows? I was just wondering if you would use cocoa powder or chocolate flavoring. I am assuming you would dust the marshmallows with cocoa powder and confectioner's sugar. I would appreciate any input. Thanks Smile

how does one make marshmallow topping for icecream? microwaving the jar of marshmallow cream doesnt work so well, it is too hard and sticky when the icecream cools it, but sundae bars have warm marshmallow cream topping. thx
imnoi

silent,
i remember making marshmallows this way in high school, except using glocose syrup instead of corn syrup without any compromise in taste and texture, and i have since found the two can be used interchangably.
canon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice recipe, thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished mine. An excellent recipe!
Fozia Ali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
can u tell me where can i get corn syrup.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is great! I used a piping bag to pipe out the mixture, cooled it in the freezer for about 10 min. and it was ready to go. I then the cut marshmallows into 1 inch pieces and skewered them. I then dipped them into chocolate and dusted them with ground graham crackers. They were fantastic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: