Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can this crust be saved??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxwar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Can this crust be saved?? Reply with quote

I have recently started using the "no knead-dutch oven" technique as written in the New York Times. I have also tried the "Cooks Illustrated" version. At first cut, the crust is absolutely perfect. A few hours later, regardless of how it is wrapped, the crust is a limp wreck. Any suggestions, other than dump the unused portion, would be appreciated.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> A few hours later, regardless of how it is wrapped, the crust is a limp wreck.<<

my first reaction is when are you "wrapping" it and WHY?

if the loaf has not thoroughly cooled and you enclose it in anything, the escaping moisture will make the crust go all soggy....

can you expand a bit on what you are doing for "wrapping" ?
Maxwar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By wrapping, I refer to either plastic wrap, foil or simply placing in a plastic breadbox. All of the above have been tried approximately four hours after baking had finished and some of the bread used.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... four hours

I suspect that's the issue - try minimum 8 hr cool down before storage.

I normally put the cut side down on a small board and cover with a cotton towel - that's good for two days. another option is a plain brown non-waxed / non-coated paper bag.

does the bread box have holes for circulation? if it is totally sealed, that's not a an especially good design.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy breads and baguettes are typically sold either in an open ended paper bag or perforated plastic bags to allow air to circulate and prevent moisture buildup inside the wrapper that would make the crust soggy.

There's probably nothing wrong with your recipe or baking, it's a storage problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum