Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Beef Stroganoff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: printer friendly? Reply with quote

cslider8 wrote:
Hi - thanks for the great site and wonderful recipes. Just one minor hiccup, when printing the recipe card, it prints on 3 pages...? Perhaps its my settings or something but if not, could you look into that...

I just checked it in Firefox and Internet Explorer. Looks like there's a weird problem with how Internet Explorer wants to print the page (it refuses to shrink the table down to fit!). On this particular article - you can get it to print on one page by changing the layout to Landscape. Sorry for the trouble (and the much too large table once it prints).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY NICE FORUM

SEE A LOT A VARIATIONS ON BEEF STROGANOFF...
HERE IS ONE (MORE) VARIATION I HAVE USED, TENDERLOIN STRIPS, PAPRIKA POWDER, WHITE WINE, TOMATO PASTE, ONIONS, MUSHROOM, GOOD BUTTER & SOUR CREAM...

**BEEF CAN BE SUSBSTITUTED WITH BNL TURKEY LEGS IF AVAILABLE, TREAT SAME AS TENDERLOIN BEEF IS LEANER THAN BEEF TASTE LIKE BEEF
Luna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: awesome! Reply with quote

i made this for my daughter's school project last year and everyone enjoyed it. her teacher invited a bunch of other teachers to try some too and many of then asked for the recipe. when i made it at home, even my husband who hates sour cream and onions had more than anyone. i found that if you refridgerate it over night and then reheat it the next day it tastes better though. it sharpens the flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion in the comments here. Googling around for a stroganoff recipe for tonight - has to be non-dairy though. I'm going to try goat yogurt instead of sour cream and cross my fingers. Thanks, too, for the recommendations of pickled cucumber by various commentors - I believe that will add some nice zip!.
bookwich

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from Slovakia, with Slovak and Austrian background. We NEVER use garlic in cooking stroganaff, nor tomato paste, or other odd items. It is beef, mushrooms, onions, and sour cream. Salt and pepper, is all right.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Comment on Beef Stroganoff recipe by Michael Chu Reply with quote

There are so many Beef Stroganoff recipes on the Internet, it must be a favorite dish with a lot of people. I don't think that it's a sacrilege that people modify a recipe to their own taste. I think a recipe is more of a guide, a rule of thumb, rather than some chemical mixture which must be followed to the letter for the desired effect.

I liked Michael's addition of Dijon mustard and the cognac. I also liked some of the ingredients I found in a Stroganoff recipe on the Simply Recipes web site (ex. nutmeg and tarragon). I was hesitant about the dill. Perhaps I'll use it in the future. I decided to use sirloin instead of tenderloin, as suggested by Simply Recipes. The former being much less expensive.

So I basically combined the two recipes. The result was very good. Perhaps it wouldn't live up to Count Stroganov's expectations, but then again I was making a dinner for me and my wife and not the Count.
twocats2many

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Amazing Stroganoff Reply with quote

I'm no engineer, but I am so grateful to have stumbled on the site's Beef Stroganoff recipe! I followed the directions exactly (well, almost: I used beef bouillon instead of broth), and came up with the BEST Stroganoff I've ever made... or eaten! My partner and I are both good in the kitchen, yet we couldn't have improved on this recipe. Thank you so much!!!
twocats2many

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Stroganoff substitution Reply with quote

I forgot to say I also used sirloin instead of tenderloin (which was $20/lb. at the market yesterday). I cut out every scrap of fat or gristle, and browned it as briefly as I could, and it was perfectly tender and delicious. If you heat the pan, melt the butter, lay the pieces down, and as soon as they're all down start turning them, and as soon as they're all turned start removing them --- you won't toughen the meat.
Daytonnc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Love this recipe Reply with quote

My whole family loves this recipe. We have made it several times. The only thing I change is we use fresh dill instead of dried dill. I grew up with the tomato sauce/paste version, but I really prefer this one.
Barb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: What a neat site! Reply with quote

I just have to say, even though I am an old broad who's been cooking for years and no engineer, that I find this website absolutely delightful! The clarity of the recipes is wonderful, and I love the little charty-things (I'm sure there is a proper name for the format) at the end. Go,
Engineers!! Big smile
christopholofgus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: let's try goose meat Reply with quote

This is a very nice recipe with great pictures and wonderful directions. I will be trying this recipe with the substitution of goose breast (marinated in salt water, then in milk, now drained and frozen) this weekend. I am debating if I should use chicken stock/broth instead. Do you have any ideas or recommendations?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when dealing with 'poultry' I often sub chicken / turkey stock - using turkey stock/broth in chicken, for example, adds a layer of flavor - it's like - okay it's chicken but there's something else tasty . . . .

in this particular instance I'd say a poultry stock is a better choice with goose vs. a beef stock.
Mai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: beef stroganoff Reply with quote

Oh, Thank you. I can understand this. You are my Christmas dinner hero.
globie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Beef Stroganoff Reply with quote

OMG - this ROCKS. I did however, add 1 T FRESH rosemary and it was an utter MO (mouth orgas....) wow. Thank you. I used red wine in place of cognac and used about a 1/2 cup with the stock. Served it over 1/2 whit and 1/2 brown rice. utterly amazing.
Daniel7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: meat broth Reply with quote

I've a question, the "meat broth", is this thing, kind of tablet/capsule of "meat" flavor http://www.telecompra.cl/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/490b81669a042c53ac356d6753c83f55.jpg, is it raw meat blood, the juices that the meat itself leaves when cooked or what?

thanks and I know it kinda dumb but I'm from a spanish speaking country and it's not clear for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: