Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: The HP Freshman 15 Contest - Win a Notebook Compu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielleeu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: One Last Entry Reply with quote

I just thought you might like this one...
I tried to combine both elements of the website's name:
Cookingforengineers.com, a blueprint for success-

Enjoy! Oh, and it is still October 10th here is Ohio (it's 10:20pm) so I hope this still counts...I had to hurry and construct this as soon as I was off work.

Last edited by danielleeu on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hardertobreathe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Contest Entry #2 Reply with quote

Hello again!

Here is my second entry for the contest:

I was in the mood for some fall flavors, so these are Apple Spice cupcakes. I found the recipe here, if anyone else is in the mood for some Apple yumminess:

http://sassandveracity.typepad.com/sass_veracity/2008/09/apple-walnut-cu.html

When I baked these, I made some substitutions - I didn't have any Walnuts on hand, so I omitted those, and I also added more spices. I then used cream cheese frosting and a variety of sprinkles to pretty them up.

I have two more entries on the way, which I will post as soon as I pull them out of the oven. Smile
sspagnol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spencer
sspagnol@calpoly.edu
quitejaded

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: My Entry Reply with quote

hardertobreathe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Contest Entry #3 Reply with quote

Here's my third entry, fresh from the oven!

Sugar cookies, sprinkled with tinted sugar. I made this using my favorite sugar cookie recipe, from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book, circa 1963:

Ethel's Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring or 1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups Gold Medal Flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt (which I always omit)

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method, or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together; blend in. Chill at least 1 hr.

Heat oven to 400 degress (mod. hot). Roll dough 1/8" thick on lightly floured board. Cut with 3" cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 min., or until cookies are a delicate golden color. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Yum!
hardertobreathe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Contest Entry #4 Reply with quote

Here is my fourth and final entry!

But the impending invasion was thwarted...

The spaceship is a cake that I made from a recipe found in another Betty Crocker cookbook. This one is a little more modern - it's from 1972.

Dinette Cake

1 1/2 cups cake flour or 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (again, I always omit this, because I think it's gross!)
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour square pan (or spaceship), 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl. Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes high speed, scraping bow2l occasionally. Pour into pan.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

I also added lemon flavoring, because I thought it would be nice. I frosted it with plain old Vanilla frosting, and added the alien, who flew down from outer space (OK, he actually came from the batch of Ethel's Sugar Cookies). There's a somewhat clearer picture of the cake here, but you can't read the writing because of the flash. My camera isn't very well suited to taking food pictures, alas!

Thank you again for offering this fantastic contest. What fun! I spent half of the day in the kitchen playing around with these recipes - I love to bake, so this was a fun creative project! Thanks again for the chance to enter! Smile

-Beeb
bakahentai AT gmail.com
rtrieu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: How to know when spaghetti is done Reply with quote

How do you when spaghetti is done? When is sticks to the refrigerator door and you can spell stuff with it.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the response to this challenge has been overwhelming! The contest ends in a few more hours (I'm traveling - currently in Texas - and it's almost Oct. 11 here) - I'll wait until around noon here (12:00 noon Central Time) to end the contest. If I forget, then it'll end a little later.

So, get your last minute entries in!

I'll have to make the final decision when I get back to California so I'll contact the winners around noon on Monday and when I get responses from everyone, I'll post the winners.

Great response guys!
hutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Laptop contest Reply with quote

Dont know if you guys are familiar with TF2 at all, I made a spray of the website name, and just took a screen capture of the heavy eating a sandvitch underneath it. Thought I might try to be a bit different from the other entries Wink

mikehutch06@gmail.com
hutch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Laptop contest Reply with quote

Here is my second entry, a bit less electronic. I make my own dill pickles every year, and it always looks like a small army on top of my cupboards. I would definitely be willing to give out the recipe if I win Smile

mikehutch06@gmail.com
katherinego

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: pumpkin, lights on Reply with quote

now i get to eat it!

my pumpkin swirl cheesecake that is!!

Last edited by katherinego on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 am; edited 3 times in total
katherinego

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lights on!

lights off!!
Nate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: CFE on a banana Reply with quote

Aloha, Nate
House of Annie food blog
http://chezannies.blogspot.com
Lahiru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Contest Entry Reply with quote

Peanuts, fried and salted Smile
Lahiru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Contest Entry Reply with quote

Peanuts, fried and salted Smile

saw this contest at the very last moment. Didn't have time to bake a cake or anything! Damn those 'e's were hard to get lol!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: