Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Condensed Milk Fudge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: What did I do wrong? Reply with quote

This seems like a gloriously easy recipe, but something didn't work. The ingredients didn't combine well. Instead I have globs of chocolate with pools of oil. Disbelief We did use 60% cocao dark chocolate chips, too much cocao maybe? We used a double boiler, (too hot maybe?), salted sweet cream butter, and the sweetened condensed milk. Any words of wisdom before our second attempt?
lyndy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: microwave Fudge Reply with quote

Two comments for fudge: one, I always use cocoa, never unsweetened chips-too expensive and secondly a 2 minute microwave version:
l lb confectioner sugar
1/2 c. cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c. milk
1tbs. vanilla
1/2 c. margarine

in 1 1/2 quart casserole dish stir all ingredients except butter. Once stirred put butter on top and microwave for 2 minutes. stir vigorously until smooth. Blend in nuts if desired. por into desired dish and chill 1 hr in frig--cut into squares . Put in tin and hide it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Fudge is gooey Reply with quote

My fudge didn't set up after more than 12 hours in the fridge. I don't want to use it as a sauce. Is there any way to fix it. Can you reheat it and/or add some ingredient that will make it firm or should I give up and toss it?
Seena

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Addition to fudge Reply with quote

My 13 yo daughter is obsessed with marzipan, dark chocolate, and fleur de sel so this year we made this exact fudge recipe using part semi-sweet and part bittersweet chocolate.
After spreading in the pan we sprinkled it with fleur de sel. It was yummy! We gave some out as gifts and people kept asking where we bought it.
I think any additions make fudge a little more posh.
Happy Holidays!
ves heill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Great fudge! Reply with quote

Made this last night using the microwave method discussed in the 3rd/4th comments above. I needed to microwave for around 30 seconds before I saw any hint of melting, then micro'd in 10 second bursts with stirring in between, for total microwaving time of around 1min, 20 seconds. I used your posted recipe with the exception that I used 3 TBS of butter instead of 4 (I like a firm fudge), and I added 2 crushed Skor candy bars before pouring into the mold and another 2 crushed Skor bars on top. Fabulous fudge, and so easy! I'll definitely be making this again.
tangela

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This seems like a gloriously easy recipe, but something didn't work. The ingredients didn't combine well. Instead I have globs of chocolate with pools of oil.

I had this problem too :/ I used Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips. If that's relevant. Somehow.

I suspect that it was due to over-mixing. Instead of letting the ingredients sit and warm up for a few minutes, I just started mixing right away.

Also, I didn't really alternate between heating and mixing until nearish the end of the process. I just stirred like crazy in the beginning, reread the recipe, thought "aw man," and then started taking the bowl on and off the heat.

Maybe that was the problem? I think that's when it started clumping and developing little pools of oil. Was I supposed to let it rest for a bit on top of the pot before mixing some more?

I still scooped the fudge into a foil-lined pan [it wasn't really pourable at this point] and let it set. It looked fine after a few hours, only there were disconcerting patches of solid fat on the top. And when I cut it there were teeny little fat deposits dispersed throughout the chocolate. At least it tastes okay :/

I might try again, or buy a candy thermometer and make fudge the more difficult way. I like the crumbly texture of well-made fudge. This was a tad too smooth for my taste.

And so I don't sound completely ungrateful and complain-y: I really do like your site. As other people have mentioned, the pictures are really helpful to get an idea of what the food should look like. Also, the chart format is nifty :] It helps me figure out what I can measure and mix ahead of time. You do not want to know how many times I've smacked my forehead in frustration after mixing all the dry ingredients together for the crust only to realize that the sugar and flour should really go in the curd / what-have-you. Silly me.

/endrambling.
Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Fudge Reply with quote

I love how simple and delicious this recipe is! I was contemplating whether to make THIS or the English Toffee... so i am going to incorporate BOTH into... Condensed Chocolate Fudge with Toffee bits on top!

Thanks for the baking inspiration, i have never baked before and only got the urge to start from your simple recipes and pictures! Keep up the great work!
cbm296@bellsouth.net

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: great fudge Reply with quote

I have been using this recipe for years and have never had a problem. I give it as gifts at Christmas and it is always well received. My family always asks for it at any family get together. I always used the evaporated milk recipe before and it's outcome was always iffy. This is a sure fire success. I would love to make it with white chocolate but need a recipe I can trust. Any help out there?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother uses a recipe just like this. I've also seen rachel ray pretty much do the same thing. Next time that I make it Im going to layer some pretzels on the bottome of the pan then pour in the fudge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at all of the people saying that their fudge was 'ruined' when they made this recipe. Then again, maybe it's the butter? I've never used butter when making this, just the chocolate and condensed milk.
Jiikyia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Fudge tips Reply with quote

I save a square black plastic microwave dinner tray. Then I line it with some Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Release Aluminum Foil. Once the fudge has cooled in the fridge to set, it can be released easily from the tray and foil and then cut up. Or just leave it in the foil and tray and wrap it all up in cellophane or plastic wrap to give it as a gift.
1000101er

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: thanks for great fudge Reply with quote

great stuff i used yours as template added 1/2 pound of 100% cocoa powder, a bit more butter and SCMilk, a mini pinch salt, a pinch sugar, vanilla extract and they came out pretty darn yummy, great consistency, i used a mix of all the recipes i saw on the web except for using corn syrup. your recipe was awesome and great picks too, i got sore mixing that thing on the double boiler but it was worth it.
maxie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff. Easy to make and very tasty!
Davo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Is it fudge? Reply with quote

Call me old fashioned, but this isn't fudge, is it? Fudge shouldn't need to be kept refridgerated for it to remain set.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I'm really disapointed that even on the printer friendly version, I can't print just the recipe. I have printed about 40 pages and still don't have it. I had to cancell the print
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: