Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backyard Farming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Yakima Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Backyard Farming Reply with quote

Anyone else use their yard, deck, patio, or windowsill for food production?

In my backyard I have Prime Jim blackberries all along the back fence; not only are they primocane (Prime Jan and Prime Jim are the only blackberries that are available to homeowners that bear on first year canes), they offer the benefit of having long thorns to deter people cutting from the schoolyard through our yard at night.

On one side we have primocane raspberries, including Summit. Primocanes are good because after bearing in the fall you can cut all the canes to the ground and reduce disease and insect egg carryover.

In containers or raised beds I grow strawberries, blueberries, huckleberries (no crop yet), Pacific filbert (wild hazelnut), grapes, bell peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, peas, green beans, cooking and salad greens, cucumbers, and zucchini. We have fruit trees we keep small with summer pruning on one side of the yard including both full size and dwarf nectarines and peaches. We have a lemon tree in the ground, and another lemon and some oranges in containers.

I have a grolite on the kitchen pass through where I start my seedlings. In the front yard I have lots of Mahonia, including Oregon grape, for pies.

No wonder I have a figure like a harbor seal.
absoluteherb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a very large area in my compound and i use it to farm beans carrots and tomatoes it makes life cheap and open to natural supplements
lakis20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't very large compound but i also use it for farm beans potatoes, some vegetable like lemon, chili and some fruits that make my life little cheap and open to natural supplements.

Smile
chef jenny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always trying to grow my own food Smile Main appeal of owning a house. This year most of my "crops" flopped, but it was due to neglect above all else - busy summer, lazy jenny.

Things that survived without my care: Strawberries, fennel, herbs, and pumpkins. I'm also growing hops this year, and next year they'll probably produce enough for me to make a batch or two of beer with them Smile I'm so excited.

I also bought garlic bulbs this year to plant for harvest next fall, and I plan to plant peas in the spring. I'm totally stoked Smile

Of course, a lot of the food doesn't really make it into the house - nasty habit I have of going out to "harvest," and instead sitting down with my dog to eat Smile
ad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Best bang for your buck : edamame grown @ home Reply with quote

My teenager and I are sold on growing our own edamame. Germination can be tricky as you wait for the right temp, watering etc to work its magic. Once the bushes start growing, it was easy. Taste was superior, sweet and only needed 5" in the microwave or in hot water. See Alton Brown's methods. Superb nutrition, taste and fun! Next spring we will grow lots by all the nitrogen hungry plants for symbiosis!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum