Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharpening Steel technique - Why stroke toward yourself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Renger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Sharpening Steel technique - Why stroke toward yourself? Reply with quote

How come all the chefs and instructions have you stroke the blade over a sharpening steel with the edge toward yourself? You could achieve the same angles with more safety stroking away. Is there something to the shape of the grooves, or what?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think chefs are taught to run blades on a sharpening steel towards their own bodies as a safety measure to other people working in a cramped commercial kitchen.
buzzard767

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good idea. Take that grooved steel which is nothing more than an edge ruining file and throw it in the trash can. You should take a look under magnification at the damage these buggers do. If you're using soft steel knives like Germans or French, get a glass smooth steel to realign the edges when they roll. If you're using hard steel knives like most Japanese get either a ceramic steel or a borosilicate steel to touch up the edges.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzard767 wrote:
I have a good idea. Take that grooved steel which is nothing more than an edge ruining file and throw it in the trash can. You should take a look under magnification at the damage these buggers do.

please describe the damage they do so I know what to look for.

I have a 10x, 15x, and 25x loupe - so I'll go look if you can tell me what to look for and I suppose you should add "why" what I'm looking for is "bad"
buzzard767

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert wrote:
buzzard767 wrote:
I have a good idea. Take that grooved steel which is nothing more than an edge ruining file and throw it in the trash can. You should take a look under magnification at the damage these buggers do.

please describe the damage they do so I know what to look for.

I have a 10x, 15x, and 25x loupe - so I'll go look if you can tell me what to look for and I suppose you should add "why" what I'm looking for is "bad"

Jagged.

Why? Smooth polish cuts better. It's an old argument but "toothy" is an excuse for not knowing how to sharpen. I do. Here's just some of my stuff - not a grooved steel in sight.

buzzard767

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something I upped to another forum a couple days ago. It's all about high end edge polishing. True sharp has nothing to do with ripping up an edge with a grooved steel.

Quote:

Scrubbed bull pranced into my house this morning.

Diamond spray is magical. I will NEVER use it on knives other than my own (too sharp).

I gave the leather one light coat, rubbed it in, and let dry. This was followed by a second coat somewhat heavier than the first. Both coats were sucked up rapidly by the leather. After drying, a third, heavy coat was applied, heavy enough so that I had standing liquid. I rubbed it in and waited for it to dry. Patience lost, the Takeda Gyuto was stropped, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Yesterday after chromium oxide, it push cut (edit: computer paper) 15/16" from the pinch. Now, post diamond, full push cutting was easily obtained at 1 3/4" and partial (about 1/4" deep) at 2 1/8". This stuff is infrickn'credible. End quote:
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzard767 wrote:

Jagged.

Why? Smooth polish cuts better. It's an old argument but "toothy" is an excuse for not knowing how to sharpen. I do. Here's just some of my stuff - not a grooved steel in sight.

Smooth is the way, just like using a strop to polish the edge of a straight razor. Juicy.

Biggles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum