Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student Knives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Student Knives Reply with quote

Hey all! First post here.

I've recently decided to take the plunge and start taking classes in professional cooking. The school I'm attending requires the purchase of a knife set for one of the first classes. It is a set of 5 no-name brand knives for around $120. All the professor/chef really had to say about the set was that "I have a set of those around somewhere", which doesn't particularly inspire much confidence.

Instead of burning $120 on a set of knives about which little seems to be known, I've started doing a little research, and ran into this awesome site. I was formerly an electrical engineering student for several years before finally deciding it wasn't really my passion, thus the appeal.

I'll be needing (for this semester at least), a chef's knife, a serrated slicer, a boning knife, a paring knife, a curved paring knife, and sharpening steel. A carrying case of sorts would prove rather useful as well since I'll be transporting these at least once a week. The chef did mention Forschner as his starting knives, and knives he still currently uses, so I've been looking a bit into those.

I've done a bit of browsing through the forums, but more often than not it seems people are looking for something high-end. For the time being, I'm looking at middle-of-the-road. Though... I suppose if I go for the gusto on quality, I'll have knives that will last forever. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Student Knives Reply with quote

Marx wrote:
Hey all! First post here.

I've recently decided to take the plunge and start taking classes in professional cooking. The school I'm attending requires the purchase of a knife set for one of the first classes. It is a set of 5 no-name brand knives for around $120. All the professor/chef really had to say about the set was that "I have a set of those around somewhere", which doesn't particularly inspire much confidence.

Instead of burning $120 on a set of knives about which little seems to be known, I've started doing a little research, and ran into this awesome site. I was formerly an electrical engineering student for several years before finally deciding it wasn't really my passion, thus the appeal.

I'll be needing (for this semester at least), a chef's knife, a serrated slicer, a boning knife, a paring knife, a curved paring knife, and sharpening steel. A carrying case of sorts would prove rather useful as well since I'll be transporting these at least once a week. The chef did mention Forschner as his starting knives, and knives he still currently uses, so I've been looking a bit into those.

I've done a bit of browsing through the forums, but more often than not it seems people are looking for something high-end. For the time being, I'm looking at middle-of-the-road. Though... I suppose if I go for the gusto on quality, I'll have knives that will last forever. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Something to take in to consideration, when working in commercial kitchens or going to cooking school, your gear can quickly disappear. Choose knives you won't miss and a case that doesn't necessarily scream, "Hi everybody, I'm a knife case filled with fancy knives!"

I showed up at a local event (yes, I was paid) to do a little prep and grill sausages all afternoon with a plastic tub full of cheap crap. I came home with all the same stuff I left with. Plus, any better gear wouldn't have made any difference whatsoever.

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the knives your prof recommended made by Forchner because they are well made and not too expensive, and after reading what the Dr had to say, I'm convinced you should get what everybody else gets. They won't get stolen, and you can always use the student set for camping, BBQing or other outdoor or rough uses where other people might try to "help."

I have a good set of many knives (too many to admit to most people) and a small collection of inexpensive ones that I don't get upset over when someone does things to them that only happen to my good knives in a nightmare. The student set won't go to waste.

Oh, yeah, engrave your name into your knives!

Last edited by GaryProtein on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBiggles is right about that - people "borrow" knives all the time in the professional setting and it's not hard to forget to ask for them back. Also people treat knives differently, someone who buys a high end knife will treat it better than someone borrowing a knife (because if that person had to borrow your knife then probably he didn't really care too much about his knives or he'd have them with him).

For school, I'd say go with Forschner. They are relatively inexpensive - $25-30 for a chef's, $10-15 for boning and paring. They handle well, take a beating, and aren't unique works of art that will make you cry when another student messes it up.

I think I picked up a knife bag from made by Dexter Russell for about $30 - holds 30 knives. If you can find a restaurant supply store near you, that might be a good place to start. I've found that knife rolls/bags are pricey at home retail stores.
Marx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the suggestions. A set of Forschner knives does seem like it might be a good option. A set of five will probably run me less than the set the school is trying to get me to purchase.

There's actually a restaurant supply store just down the street from me, and I know they carry these knives. I'll end up ordering them from Amazon I'm sure, but it would be nice to see how they feel before I purchase them.

I'm just glad to hear others saying Forschner knives are relatively decent for the price. That was my main concern. I'd hate to buy $100 worth of knives only to find out they were garbage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum