Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steaming shrimp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Steaming shrimp Reply with quote

The last couple of times i have fixed shrimp, I have steamed them, following the recipe on the Old Bay spice can. It calls for a half cup each of water and vinegar (I used white) and a tablespoon of Old Bay. The shrimp were really good. But, in addition to the nice "shrimpy" flavor, there was a distinct sweetness to the flavor. I am wondering if this sweetness comes from the spice blend, or the vinegar?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's not the flavor of the shrimp? Perfectly cooked shrimp should be naturally sweet (as well as the briney shrimp taste). Overcooking shrimp will toughen up the shrimp and make the sweetness go away.
IndyRob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being generally vinegar averse, I thought that surely the amount of vinegar was overstated, but upon grabbing my can of Old Bay and finding the same recipe, it is correct - Equal parts water and vinegar.

I may have to try this, but not sure that I will because of the vinegar (and yet, I do feel oddly compelled....). Nevertheless, I looked at the ingredients of Old Bay and there is nothing sweet of any sort. Or anything that would seem to indirectly promote sweetness.

If there's a sweetness beyond the natural (slight) sweetness of shrimp that Michael mentioned, then I'd tend to suspect the vinegar (strawberries are often mascerated in Balsamic v to bring out the sweetness).
JDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I too was surprised at the amount of vinegar, and I am not a big vinegar fan either. But, since it is a boil and the shrimp never actually touch the liquid I thought I would try. There is no hint or trace of vinegar at all. I have done this twice now, and both times the shrimp were very sweet. I don't know why, but I am sticking to my story!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum