Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Simple Tiramisu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kotsuki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't find the mascarpone cheese though, so I used cream cheese and a little whole milk instead.

I might sound stupid but just want to make sure.

The substitue for mascarpone cheese would be cream cheese with milk.

Meaning...mixing those two together until they are...smooth, creamy?
karen_dodson

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: origin of tiramisu? Reply with quote

Smile not an engineer but do like cooking format is easy to follow
Cindi

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Tiramisu Reply with quote

Very nice step by step photographs! It has been my experience traveling throughout Italy that true Tiramisu is always made with eggs and mascarpone cheese. No coffee & only Italian espresso. Using whipping cream makes the desert to thick and is slightly acidic. Tiramisu should be extremely light and airy when running a fork through it. Hence it's nickname is "pick me up" and it is usually eaten in the afternoon to do just that...pick you up. It is also a desert that is found in many major Mediteranian cities as well, and made the same way. I have eaten it in many restaurants with the chocolate shavings as garnish on the plate, but not on top. If you still live in Silicon Valley...Do yourself a favor some weekend and go have dinner at Biba in Sacramento..assuming it is still there of course. You can buy pasturized eggs now at the supermarket, FYI.
Joseph

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Chill Whipping Cream and Bowl Reply with quote

Ok...i am a little confused about the direction of chill whipping cream and bowl. Do I chill the whipping cream in the bowl or chill both separately for some reason? I need to make this for my wife so I want to follow directions precisely.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chill the cream/bowl together or separate - doesn't make a lot of difference. cream whips up better when chilled - chilling the bowl helps keep things cool during the whipping process - and yes, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't chill the bowl.... <g>
Tiffany

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Where have u been all my life? Reply with quote

lol I absolutely love your site.....I'm a science geek: pre-med, work for the physics dept on campus, calculus nut...and i just discovered this new appreciation for chemistry....not to mention that im OBSESSED with baking! soooo, of course i'm in LOVE with your site! If I could date it, it would make life so much easier, lol...Granted, i havent tried any of your recipes (I make my own) but its a great place to easily learn new techniques (i love your graph thing on the bottom!) anyway, love the pics, commentary and everything! good job, keep it up!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the best thing i have ever made. i used a good cayman rum & it was so good everyone loves this.

thanks very much!
lizsong

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: serious goodness Reply with quote

this is some serious goodness. i had some made my michael himself...and i'm pretty sure that's what made it EXTRA amazing. i had two slices and was in pure heaven.

someone want to buy me a kitchenaid mixer???? i need to make this tiramisu quickly.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: serious goodness Reply with quote

lizsong wrote:
someone want to buy me a kitchenaid mixer???? i need to make this tiramisu quickly.

You can whip the whipped cream using a hand mixer (best with a whisk attachment, but the beaters will also work over time) or by hand with a whisk which can take 20 minutes to an hour (this depends on how fast you are able to whisk and how often you need to take breaks).
TX ChemE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Be careful dipping the Ladyfingers Reply with quote

In the past making Tiramisu, I've had trouble with the Ladyfingers soaking up too much espresso, so I now use a basting brush and brush all sides of each Ladyfinger until it has absorbed the proper amount.

In answer to an earlier question, I've made Tiramisu without the Alcohol, but it is not quite the same.
xuxuio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: An idea for an improved website Reply with quote

The only information that this and other cooking sites lack is the cost factor. I think this site would be complete if you had the average costs of the ingredients or cost of the entire recipe or both! Especially, with the struggles of the economy. When looking at some exotic or unfamiliar recipes with different ingredients it would be nice that this particular dish will cost you $25 or $10. That would really help to plan dinners more effectively don't you think. Thanks for this wonderful site and whether my 2 cents is ignored or appreciated I still enjoy the resources this forum provides.
LarryPoin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Beyond great Reply with quote

I just made this Tiramisu and my wife loved it! I added a bit more rum than it calls for, and my wife says it's the best she's had.

I dribbled the coffee/espresso over the top because the ladyfingers fell apart, and I forgot to chill the coffee/espresso first.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Recession Tiramisu Reply with quote

Is it possible to use ricotta cheese in substitution for the mascarpone cheese in the recipe? I figure that they are two very similar cheeses with similar textures, only that ricotta is more common where I live. Does this affect the taste or quality of the tiramisu, or are the two types of cheese interchangeable?

On another note, I really appreciate the simplicity of this site. It's much easier to understand compared to the other websites out there, and has a great-sounding tiramisu recipe. Smile
Bic

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: i need some help Reply with quote

Yesterday i just made Teramissu by your simple recipe

and overall its test is good but when i mix malcapone chesse with rum and

sugar it doesnt come out as a smooth cream. it come out rough and

malcopone stick together like a little bubble.

so i need to know why

thx for a very simple but great test
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: i need some help Reply with quote

Bic wrote:
malcopone stick together like a little bubble.

How long did you mix it? I usually takes me about three to four minutes of mashing with my spatula and stirring to get it smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: