Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment & Gear: Krups Spice Grinder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thea

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: magazine Reply with quote

I happened upon this site while searching for spice grinders. I read something about a magazine that I wanted to check out. Now I've come back to the site to find it and I can't. All I really remember: It's hardcover, It costs a pretty penny for few issues and the poster didn't know why it wasn't better known. I had never heard of it myself.
Thanx for any help.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: magazine Reply with quote

thea wrote:
I happened upon this site while searching for spice grinders. I read something about a magazine that I wanted to check out. Now I've come back to the site to find it and I can't. All I really remember: It's hardcover, It costs a pretty penny for few issues and the poster didn't know why it wasn't better known. I had never heard of it myself.
Thanx for any help.

Thea, I think you're referring to Art Culinaire. Here's the Amazon.com link.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, Michael. I was looking for a spice grinder for grinding spices that are so much essential for Indian recipes but could not found one until this article.

I'll go shopping for it today and though it appears that Krups is not available in many stores, I think any good coffee grinder should do the job.

- Shailesh
speechfork

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: recipe for spiced molasses cookies Reply with quote

At your convenience, would you post the recipe referred to in your original post?

Thank you very much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: cookies Reply with quote

Do you happen to have the recipe for the spice cookies that ruined your lid? Thanks!

-Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you told me about this. I think I might buy two. One for spices, and the other, of all things, for chemicals. I have 5lbs of technical grade KMnO4 that takes forever to grind using a mortar and pestel. And then another 3lb of NaNO3. Expensive, though, because I'm sure it'll ruin the grinder.

However, that would work great if you grow your own spices. Just dry them and then grind them up, beats grocery store stuff.
BchrisL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed the inside of the plastic Costco container of cloves that sits in my cupboard does have a brown stain on the inside of the bottle.

I use my Krups grinder regularly. I have ground cloves one or twice. Mostly I grind the same group of spices in the grinder, and the residual smell of cloves does not matter.

I usually clean my grinder by throwing in a small quantity of rice and grinding it, moreover, an addition of baking soda to the rice might absorb any smell. As a last resort, before throwing out a grinder, try grinding charcoal granules in the unit before throwing it out. They could be obtained in small quantities at your local aquarium supply store, and will tend to absorb any residual oils left by the spices. Smile

My wife ruined an earlier grinder by washing it under water. It caused the motor shaft to seize. I was disappointed, but quickly replaced the unit.
danielcc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Braun coffee grinder that I use for all manner of whole spices, and it seems to work well. I've only had it a few years, but it was a good buy...but one thing I find annoying is that, like the Krups, it lacks a removable bowl.

I've done cloves before and had no real problem with them clouding up the cover (maybe I should reconsider my fresh-whole-spices source...). Cinnamon sticks kill it, though: I've got a nice, brownish-red sheen on the thing, and it smells of cinnamon. I've tried grinding both NaCl and rice, but I'm still stuck with the cloudy lid/smell. I'll have to give (rice + baking soda), followed by a *very* thorough wipe-down, followed by vinegar a try...the thorough wipe-down because we all know what happens when vinegar and baking soda come in contact Smile

Michael, your site is awesome. I'm a recently-graduated chemistry/computer science guy, but I'm doing grad work in materials science/engineering...and this website has become my homepage Smile
NWD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Spice grinder Reply with quote

I was looking for a good spice grinder that can given the finest spice powder. I tried all different brands and types I could find but none of them could beat my 20 years old Regal coffee and spice grinder. After 1 minute grinding, my old Regal could produce the fine powder that would rise like smoke (When you opened the cap within 30 seconds). However, the capacity is smaller (good for small quantity) and plastic casing started cracking. Some my Indian friends suggested the "Summet Asian Kitchen Machine" to me. It claimed as the finiest spice grinder that can grind the spices into talc powder like fine particles. I ordered one (about $200). I was told 3 to 4 weeks for delivery. 6 weeks later, I still didn't have it. After 10 phone calls later, finally got some one on the phone. He explained there were some production issues in India factory. It would be here in 10 days and he would notify me personally. It had never happened after 2 and half months. No response to my email, the voice message box was full, could not even leave an message (you wonder why?). So I cancelled the order through credit card company. Never had chance to try this one. Maybe it just a good product with very bad service.
By the way, I think the reason my old Regal worked better is because of a higher speed motor.

Gin
Hmmmm . . .donuts!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Krups Grinder Reply with quote

Disbelief I just found you site, and thought the Google tag was "Cooking for Foreigners"

DAMN that Evelyn Wood speed reading.

I thought, hmmm . . . maybe those Italians don't like the way we make sauce.

Your site is original, and I'm sure a source of pride for you.

Read the SNAFU about grinding cloves, and wondered if you just don't have ONE grinder for these types of spices, one for coffee, one for other products -- this way, you don't need to buy a mortal and pestle just ask KRUPS for more products! And keep a few for the individual needs.

By the way, I found the Chasen's Chili years ago in the newspaper and have been making that chili every since. It's a GREAT fall food!!

But DUDE . . .what is UP with you confirmation code!?!?!?
oopsisee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: grinder for poppy seed Reply with quote

some one said that the motor caught fire when they were grinding poppy seed . Is there one that would not get heated and burn the motor coil. Need to know if there is any, lloks like some had good expereience with Krups or cuisenart or Regal , so which one is the winner.

seriously looking for a grinder that really works fore spices and poppy seeds, any idea
Jim Cooley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some old generic coffee grinder I use for spices. Rice works well to clean it.

But cloves and cinnamon are so hard I usually resort to an iron mortar and pestle you can get for a couple bucks at any Indian grocery store.

If you just want experiment, go to a Goodwill store. There's always a zillion at the one near me and they go for a couple bucks each.
Chile Rellano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Kitchen Aid Blade Coffee Grinder highly recommended Reply with quote

I've used the $30 Kitchen Aid Blade Coffee Grinder (BCG100WH) to grind spices in class at the Culinary School of the Rockies. It's a great unit.

I have an old much-loved Krups Coffee Grinder (203-71) that has been used to grind spices but the Kitchen Aid is clearly superior. For one thing, the Kitchen Aid stainless steel "cup" is much deeper and less of the clear plastic cap is exposed to the grinding activity.

If I had space in my small home kitchen, I'd have both: The Krups for coffee and the Kitchen Aid for spices.

Until I have a larger kitchen I'll use my old set of two white ceramic nesting mortars and pestles. I've had them so long I don't remember where I got them. It may have been Pier 1 before they went so upscale.
irishmoss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: what ginder to use to powder dried irish moss Reply with quote

I need to buy a spice grinder that will power dried irish moss. I live in Sacramento. Ideallly, I would get to run the herb through the grinder before I buy- is there an answer for me ?
wowcat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: electric spice grinder Reply with quote

I'm looking for the electric spice grinder used by both Rick Bayless and Alton Brown on their cooking shows. The bowl and the top are both metal, and I believe turn on by pushing the top down. I have an ancient Moulinex that is not safety featured (you can turn it on with the top off) but does a fantastic job. The plastic top is beginning to crack....the end is near, and I don't want to be without my spice grinder. I've gone to both sites and am unable to get the information. WoWcat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: