Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chef knife
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themessneger

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: chef knife Reply with quote

does anyone know where i can get a 14" or 16" chefs knife....i have become very proficant with a 12" slicer for all of my kitchen tasks and want to graduate to something a little bigger...thanks...
SirShazar

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you REALLY need a knife that big?

My 12" knife is pushing it even for the biggest of jobs (slicing meat, splitting watermelon). Almost all modern knife makers don't make knives longer than 12" (blade length, handle and bolster not included). You're looking at vintage carbon for that size, and the only place you see those these days is eBay. Like this Gustav Emil 14.75" chefs knife.

Are you talking about blade length or whole knife length?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wuesthoff makes a 14" (36 cm) chef's knife -

wonder if you have to be a registered arms dealer to buy one . . . ?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ I have seen Wusthof's 14" in person at Stoddards in Boston. It's about $400+. It looks really nice, especially with its extra wide blade, but I doubt I'd use a 14". I asked them about it and it appears to be a special order item.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: chef knife Reply with quote

themessneger wrote:
does anyone know where i can get a 14" or 16" chefs knife....i have become very proficant with a 12" slicer for all of my kitchen tasks and want to graduate to something a little bigger...thanks...

They are nice, aren't they? I can't afford all these new knives, or those fancy Asian blades. So, I keep my eyes peeled on ebay, have found some wonderful bargains. If you do searches for GUSTAV EMIL ERN, or some portions, you'll find yourself probably what you're looking for. The German knives like that tend to be a little thicker at the bolster than their French counterparts. I have a rat-tail 13" Sabatier that's razor thin, well balanced and works like a 10". Well, okay it was 13" until I dropped it and broke the tip off, PING. Made a pretty sound. A friend and master knife sharpener and know-it-all has reground the blade, so it's a tad shorter, feh.

Biggles
rembrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12" slicer is a relatively thin,light blade compared to a 12" Chef's. As a commercial cook I favor a 10",which is typical in big kitchens. I found a 12" to be a bit cumbersome and bigger than that would just wear me out and bog me down,though I could see a jumbo for some tasks.

The 12" version of the classic Forschner stamped is pretty nice. I've used their 12" forged and it's too heavy and won't take the same edge.

Carbon Knives can be great-but don't use it on acidic foods, including onions,peppers,fruit. Besides staining,you get micro corrosion that rapidly degrades your nice edge.
buzzard767

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: chef knife Reply with quote

themessneger wrote:

16" chef's knife? You're kidding, right?
rembrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be measuring handle and all rather than just blade? Hardly anyone uses a 12" BLADE as a main knife.....bigger is seldom seen
buzzard767

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rembrant wrote:
Might be measuring handle and all rather than just blade? Hardly anyone uses a 12" BLADE as a main knife.....bigger is seldom seen

Isn't that the truth? My largest chef's knife is a 300mm Hiromoto High Carbon. That baby only comes out of the box when I'm doing big chores like family reunions, etc. Otherwise it's a huge overkill. 240mm is much more to my liking.

Buzz
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^I think he really means blade length.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why he posted in the first place if he wasn't gonna follow up on his topic. Seems kinda rude to me.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirShazar wrote:
I don't understand why he posted in the first place if he wasn't gonna follow up on his topic. Seems kinda rude to me.

That's what I was thinking last week!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people go places they have no idea how to find again....

been there, done that, don't have the bookmark.
<sigh>
msjayhawk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Here is a 14" Reply with quote

We used to have some huge ones in the kitchen I worked in in college...

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=608
Expensive!!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a 14" Reply with quote

msjayhawk wrote:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=608

I like how in the blurb, the copy reads, "No kitchen should be without this . . . . " Laughing Out Loud
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum