Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JP's 2-in-1 beef seasoning mix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirpaul484

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: JP's 2-in-1 beef seasoning mix Reply with quote

I love to barbeque, especially beef. Problem is, I hate the goopy barbeque sauces which completely mask the flavor of the meat. I also find just using salt and a bit of pepper makes the meat a little bland. I tried using store-bought rubs and marinades, but they all seem to lack a little something. One day, I found I had a bunch of New York steaks, and no sauces, rubs, or anything. So I just threw a bunch of seasonings together from my cupboard, rubbed the meat with it, and slapped it on the grill. The result was fabulous. Perfect flavor, excellent mouth feel, and most importantly, you can still taste the meat. Here is an approximation of the original recipe:

- 5 parts seasoned salt (I use Pappy's. If you don't have it, I'm sure any brand will work just fine)
- 2 parts paprika
- 2 parts sugar
- 1 part garlic powder (NOT garlic salt. The seasoned salt is already salty enough)
- 1 part MSG (optional)
- 1 part your favorite dried herb blend (I personally find Italian herb blends to have a taste that doesn't quite mix with this rub, but you might find it good)
- 1/2 part finely ground white pepper
- 1/2 part garam masala (also optional)

Mix to combine. Taste, and adjust to your preferences.

To use as a rub, just rub it over the meat, making sure to massage it all over.

To use as a marinade, put some in a large bowl. Add enough cooking wine to make into a thin sauce. Add meat, and mix to combine. For a more "bold" taste, add a small amount of steak sauce, worchestshire sauce, or a VERY small amount of hot chile oil. Let stand for about 30-45 minutes, mixing regularly.

I hope you enjoy this wonderful seasoning mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum