Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Strawberry Glazed Angel Food Cake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt1966

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Incredible Coincidence Reply with quote

As a kid I was really into Angel Food cake. I was also into cooking desserts and tried making one a few times. I think I was only successful one of those times. I always thought it was because I made them when it was humid or rainy out. My mother told me that it affects the eggs and they won't rise right. I never knew, and doubt she did either, about having to keep the pan COMPLETELY oil free. Wonder which or if both were the culprits?!

But about the coincidence.. my birthday is this weekend and my wife asked me what kind of cake I wanted. I said Angel Food cake. And that since it had been so long I wanted to make it (I'm also the baker in the family). But I told her I wanted a strawberry glaze on it and that she could make that. I've never had it that way but thought it sounded good. I finally got around to looking for a recipe by searching google and to my suprise I found one not only for strawberry glazed Angel Food cake but on a website called Cooking For Engineers. See, I'm an engineer, too. And I love cooking! Sometimes. Wink Very cool.

I will definately use your recipe. And thanks!
fallencake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: angel food cakes Reply with quote

Wanted to say that I just had three (count them -- 3) angel food cakes in a row plop out of a brand new Wilton Ultra Bake 2 non-stick angel food cake pan. I'm going back to my old aluminum angel food cake pan which -- over many, many years of use -- has not allowed a single angel food cake to fall out of the pan while the pan is inverted!

Thought that Wilton must surely know what they were doing when they made a non-stick angel food cake pan -- since I know you are not supposed to greese an angel food cake pan in any way. Evidently, they don't!
Jim K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Angel food cakes collapsing Reply with quote

I am a owner/operator of a retail bakery in southern IL near St. Louis.
We also have experienced angel food collapsing in the oven after 30 to 35 minutes. In our experience it is the egg whites which have had one of the constituents damaged during pasteurization. This does not affect the whipping properties, just the gel network of the proteins which prevent collapse during the heat of baking. We have extensively troubleshooted for over 9 months with to avail.
Carol's problem would not be the same as ours if she is not using commercial egg whites.

Jim K.
http://www.cookingwiththe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Blog Reply with quote

Great blog!
I can taste this already.
Lesley Smile
help

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: soggy? Reply with quote

It's 10 pm. I put the strawberries in and glazed it already. I haven't iced it yet. Will it be ok to serve tomorrow at 4 pm. or will it be soggy?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: soggy? Reply with quote

help wrote:
It's 10 pm. I put the strawberries in and glazed it already. I haven't iced it yet. Will it be ok to serve tomorrow at 4 pm. or will it be soggy?

It might be okay. I would guess that that would be borderline, there's a good chance it'll be soggy, but if you're lucky it won't be bad. I always put the strawberries in the day that I'm serving the cake.
Marcela

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: canned strawberries? Reply with quote

Will it work with canned strawberries? Thanks!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcela -

need to define "canned"

fresh, know about them
frozen, know about them

"canned" is strawberry jam, to me.
well, jam - preserves - conserves .... whatever floats your boat

frozen will work.
Marcela

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Canned strawberries Reply with quote

Sorry, English is my second language and I guess I deal much more with economics than with cooking. Anyway, I meant whole strawberries put in a can (tin?) or a glass jar with some sort of syrup. Would preserves be a more accurate word for that?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcela -

no need to apologize - we'll get it worked out <g>

fruit put up as preserves, conserves, etc., is usually cooked - or at least heated in the canning / preserving process. that breaks down the physical structure of a whole strawberry - gets soft, etc.

if that's all you can get - certainly it will "work" but the texture will obviously be different than fresh, same for frozen berries. depending on how thick the syrup is, that could run a bit or make for a gooey mass rather than a crisp fresh tasty morsel on the cake.

good luck and let us know how it works out if you go that direction!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Angel Food Cake Reply with quote

This morning I had an angel food cake fall out of the inverted pan, down the bottle (reaming a big hole in the cake) and land on the counter. I was using a regular two-piece angel food cake pan. It's supposed to be a birthday cake for my brother-in-law (his favorite cake). The second cake is in the oven now and I'm afraid to turn it over to cool it after my earlier disaster.
Mother Teresa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Angel Food/Strawberry Cake Reply with quote

Sad Dear Michael Chu: I believe you misunderstood the directions for preparing this cake. Putting strawberries in the bottom half of the angel food cake is supposed to be done AFTER the cake is baked and cooled and cut in half - horizontally. Not before! The bottom half is then kind of hollowed out to allow the cool strawberry/glaze mixture to be poured-or spooned into it. Then the top half is replaced and may or may not be "frosted" with whipped cream. That way, when you slice the cake and lay the slice on its side, you see the center of the slice is filled with strawberries and the whipped cream is around the outside of the slice of cake. It will work--but you DO have to bake and cool the cake first.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Angel Food/Strawberry Cake Reply with quote

Mother Teresa wrote:
Sad Dear Michael Chu: I believe you misunderstood the directions for preparing this cake. Putting strawberries in the bottom half of the angel food cake is supposed to be done AFTER the cake is baked and cooled and cut in half - horizontally. Not before!

What is this comment in response to? I believe it is, by definition, impossible for me to misunderstand the directions... considering I wrote it (as well as photographed each step of the process). I checked and I don't think I made a mistake in the recipe (at least not about the baking part - I checked - it says bake first!).
Mother Teresa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Strawberry filled Angel Food Cake Reply with quote

Dear Michael Chu:

I am terribly sorry! That message was meant for "Angie" who asked the question about putting strawberries on the cake BEFORE it was baked. It was also clear BACK in 2006--I apologize! I was trying to quickly find a great recipe of this kind (and I did--YOURS!) ...but was skimming through so fast that I missed many details in the comments.

I am truly sorry and I LOVE your site! I have NEVER seen such a well explained, well photographed recipe site ANYWHERE before! You have done a wonderful job and I will be back. (Not to criticize, either!) I just felt so badly for whoever it was that had asked that question to have not understood your very great directions. I will NEVER again be so hasty! Sorry! Please keep up this excellent work!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Strawberry filled Angel Food Cake Reply with quote

Mother Teresa wrote:
I am terribly sorry!

No need to apologize... I thought it was funny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: