Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does one read the tabular recipe format?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berkana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: How does one read the tabular recipe format? Reply with quote

The recipe ingredient/procedure tables are very clever; the simple ones are intuitive, but the recent Beef Stroganof recipe's table was a bit more complicated; how does one go about reading the table? How does one go about making a table for a given recipe?
sss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How does one read the tabular recipe format? Reply with quote

Berkana wrote:
how does one go about reading the table? How does one go about making a table for a given recipe?

Chers amis anglophones,
la planète devenant un gros village dont les langues finissent par se ressembler, je pense que comme moi, vous comprenez "en gros" ce qu'écrivent les autres, au moins ceux qui utilisent le même alphabet que vous !

Moi aussi, je voudrais connaître les règles de syntaxe pour écrire des recettes !

Ainsi, je pourrais peut-être
- écrire un "parser" (analyseur syntaxique)
- écrire de nouvelles recettes
- proposer de bons trolls bien de chez nous aux horribles contrevenants
qui ne seraient pas conformes aux specs.

Grosses bises à tous les ingénieurs de la planète,

France31
other guest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: table format Reply with quote

I aree that the table format is very clever.
Please give me info on the format !
Luca (Italy)
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The formats are read in the following way:

Ingredients are listed on the left most column. Actions are listed in subsequent columns to the right. The further right an action is listed, the later in time that action should take place. For example, if an action B is listed to the right of another action A, then action B should follow the completion of action A.

Actions span ingredients. Looking to the left, you can see one or more ingredients being spanned by the action. These are the ingredients on which the action should take place.

Ingredient Amixmix
Ingredient B
Ingredient Cmix
Ingredient D
In the above example, Ingredients A and B are mixed together and Ingredients C and D are mixed together. Because the mix step is show in the same column, time is unimportant. You can do these two steps simultaneously (with two hands or with a sous chef), or one following the other in any order. Only when the ingredients have been separately mixed should the final mixing step take place because that action is to the right of the other two "mix" actions. It tells you to mix the result of the two initial mixings because it spans all four ingredients.

If the recipe summaries are still difficult to read, simply read the long-winded explanations that are above the summary. Smile
Gwendolyn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this:
http://www.anthus.com/Recipes/CompCook.html

It's quite old though it's almost identical to the Tabular Recipe Notation. So I'd call RxOL a predecessor to the Tabular Recipe Notation.

cu,
Gwen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this website when searching for a Pecan Pie recipe. I have read through the recipe and basically now I want to print it out so that I can refer to it as I cook. That said the recipes are quite lengthy and I find myself looking at the table in which the ingredients and instructions are presented and thinking to myself all I need is a copy of this table.

As an idea would you consider putting a "print this recipe" link and have it pull up a page with just the recipe table present.

Thus giving cooks all the information they need as prompts and saving paper as well! At least until I get one of those internet fridges... like that will ever happen!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent idea. I'll put that on my list of things to add to the website. For now, please just select the table and copy and paste it into a spreadsheet or word processor like Microsoft Excel or Word. A little reformatting will be needed, but you can save on the number of pages printed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking For Engineers Website Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum