Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

baking question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteEverything

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: baking question Reply with quote

My baker has a cake recipe which calls for both baking powder and baking soda. Can she safely double those ingredients when doubling the recipe? She's been having trouble with the cake falling and I think this may be the problem. All of her procedures are correct, so I was very confused about the trouble until she told me about doubling the ingredients today. Any thoughts?
-Patrick
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can double those ingredients when doubling the recipe in many but not all cakes.

If you are making this cake for a special occasion, I recommend making the recipe twice (side by side) and not doubling it in one large aliquot, especially if the recipe specifies adding wet and dry ingredients in an alternating fashion to completion. If the recipe calls for everything geting dumped together and mixed, you can most likely just double everything.
alison - uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say there's trouble with the cake 'falling' do you mean it's sinking in the middle?

I know nothing of 'aliquot's but I do know that when a cake mixture containing raising agents is mixed with liquids they need to go in the oven immediately. The liquid starts the raising action straightaway, & if the mixture hangs around for any length of time it will diminish & the cake won't rise properly.

It's also worth checking the use-by dates on the BP & BS packs, as they may be out of date.

I'm very wary of doubling-up on any recipe. For instance, if making a chilli with a pound of ground beef & one tablespoon of chilli powder, if you make that 2 pounds of beef & 2 tablespoons of chilli powder you know for sure that's it's going to be inedible.

Cake making is almost an exact science where the correct measurements are vital to the success of the finished product, I would have expected your baker to have known this.
MrPrezident

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison - uk wrote:
For instance, if making a chilli with a pound of ground beef & one tablespoon of chilli powder, if you make that 2 pounds of beef & 2 tablespoons of chilli powder you know for sure that's it's going to be inedible.

Why is that?
alison - uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'you know what, I can't actually tell you, but believe me
it's true, as I know from experience. I made a chilli doing
exactly that & had to cook an extra pound of beef & onion
without chilli to add to the original mix to temper it.

I've posted on food websites for years, & this has come up
so many times. There has to be some scientific 'law'
regarding the doubling-up of flavouring ingredients. It's the
same with many herbs, spices, syrups, sweetners etc.
Caution is the word.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrPrezident wrote:
alison - uk wrote:
For instance, if making a chilli with a pound of ground beef & one tablespoon of chilli powder, if you make that 2 pounds of beef & 2 tablespoons of chilli powder you know for sure that's it's going to be inedible.

Why is that?

Heh, yeah. Mine usually has 4 tablespoons + fresh adobo and 2 canned chipotle peppers.

Biggles
alison - uk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock Shock Shock For a pound of beef?

But bear in mind I'm British, not a lot of us here
have got a handle on chilli yet, we even add red
kidney beans to ours Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud which I
know is a travesty in the southern states.

Except for the larger cities most of our readily
available fresh chillies are for Indian/Kashmiri/Thai
dishes (which we do incredibly well) so most of us
have to rely on powdered blends for chilli.
SirShazar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison - uk wrote:
I'm very wary of doubling-up on any recipe. For instance, if making a chilli with a pound of ground beef & one tablespoon of chilli powder, if you make that 2 pounds of beef & 2 tablespoons of chilli powder you know for sure that's it's going to be inedible.

Hmm, I have never had this problem in any recipe that required spices. The only instance I've encountered where that was true was when working with a recipe that had a lot of flower. In which case I work by weight rather than volume when measuring.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alison - uk wrote:
Shock Shock Shock For a pound of beef?

But bear in mind I'm British, not a lot of us here
have got a handle on chilli yet, we even add red
kidney beans to ours Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud which I
know is a travesty in the southern states.

Except for the larger cities most of our readily
available fresh chillies are for Indian/Kashmiri/Thai
dishes (which we do incredibly well) so most of us
have to rely on powdered blends for chilli.

Hey, I went back and took a look at my notes and I used 2.5 pounds of meat. I was close though, the canned chipotle still stands at 2 for 1 pound of meat along with other chile peppers as I can find them.

Ya know what I would do if I were you, I'd make a good amount of adobo using the chile peppers you can find locally, Indian/Kashmiri/Thai. Use that as your base and only use the powdered chile to boost the flavors, when and where needed. Stick with the traditional spices and aromatics for a bowl of Texas red, but blend in your local goodness. Now, that, right there, I would like a recipe to. Write down the peppers you use and write back, that'd be great.

Serve a bowl with my brother inlaw's No Cookie Ingredients Cornbread and you'll be in heaven in no time:

http://www.cyberbilly.com/meathenge/archives/000968.html

Don't sweat it with the beans, I like them just fine.

Cheers,

Biggles
danicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are starting to discuss things that is too far from the question. Well I guess It's not actually the same concept with doubling-up the ingredients of cakes and for meat. I am not sure about this maybe but I am quite sure it won't be the same with the one you guys are talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum