Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Science of Low Carb baking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmillerfl

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: The Science of Low Carb baking Reply with quote

Many years ago I followed the Atkins low carb diet - back when cyclamate sweeteners were still legal in the US.

I've recently returned to a low carb lifestyle and am amazed at how many options there are for low carb baking.

Soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, wheat protein isolate, flax meal, oat flour, vital wheat gluten, "carbalose" flour; no carb thickeners like xanthan gum, guar gum and blends; sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols such as Erythritol and mannitol (NOT maltitol) have a zero GI rating. There's also polydexrose, which can - according to one recipe I found - produce a corn syrup substitute.

I've found some great low carb websites with great recipes, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain how to work with all these ingredients to produce great low carb baked goods. I'd like to understand the chemical science of how these products can be used to substitute for traditional high carbohydrate ingredients.

Thanks,

Judy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum