Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full on Chorizo and other Sausage making

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Full on Chorizo and other Sausage making Reply with quote

This is a post made by my friend John, A.K.A. Bodger at www.overthegate.com

Please take the time to have a look over there as there many interesting articles on all types of countryside ways, arts & crafts, recipes, and home-brewing, etc.

With his permission, I have been allowed to copy and post it here. ... ... ... Thank you John!

First of all we started with 3kg or reasonably lean saddleback pork and 500g of back fat.

The next thing we did was to run the back fat through the mincer.

Followed by the pork.

Then I mixed the two evenly together.

Then I got the ingredients together ready to mix into the mince.
They were
1) 2.2% of the total weight of the meat and fat combined in salt, I'm told this came to 77g

2) 90g of paprika

3) 60g of cayenne pepper

4) 30g of fennel seeds

5) 6 crushed garlic cloves.

Start the mixing

As the actress said to the bishop ! "Its sausage time !"

I know this looks slightly kinky, but its Kaz tying the end of the first sausage out of the stuffer.

The finished article.

We made quite a few.

A word of warning. This is the first time that we have made these and we'll have to wait at least six weeks or longer to see how they taste.

The next picture on this thread will be of me and Rob hanging our sausages in the barn tomorrow morning.

PS The red wine was used to make the mixing of the mix go easier in two ways.

Part Two:

We have just this second finished making about six pounds of sauasages.
You've all seen the sausage machines in action on previous threads, so we wont seek to bore you with repeat pictures, so here's what we did.

We minced 6lb of fairly fatty pork and then also put five onions through the mincer as well. We mixed the mince and onion together and ran the whole mix through the mincer again. We then split it roughly into two halves and decided to make two kinds of sausage.

The one on the left was my new recipe using my secret weapon of marmalade, whilst the one on the right was a more traditional one using sage.

Here are the ingredients for the two. We put the ingredients into the mixing bowls and then ran it through the sausage machine.

The Sage Sausage.

1) 3lb of minced pork with Onion
2) 4 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored and run through the mincer.
3) Half a tube of tomato puree.
4) Half a Schwartz pot of dried sage.
5) Two tea spoonfuls of white pepper
6) half a tea spoon of dried fennel seeds
7) A good woosh of salt.

The Marmalade Special.

1) 3lb of minced pork with Onion.
2) Half a jar of marmalade.

3) Teaspoon of Schwartz dry sage
4) Teaspoon and a half of black and red pepper.
5) Woosh of salt.

The finished articles.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating and a few of them are in the Rayburn right now :thumbup

Again, my thanks to my friend John for allowing me to copy and post this on here. Please take the time to look at www.overthegate.com
Watt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they certainly look the business, excellent infact. The coiled ones are like the ones we have locally, we buy them by the yard (or is that metre?).

Very interested to see how the chorizo turns out. Respect.
Watt
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sausages look awesome. I have only very recently started making my own sausages and it's a learning experience for sure, but it is well worth it.
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is a dumb question, but won't animals or insects go after the sausage hanging in the barn?

Why the six week wait?

Thanks for the great thread and all the pictures. I'd love to try making my own sausage one day. Wink
bodger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I'm Bodger , I'm not an engineer and I'm a newcomer to making sausages.

The Chorizos are traditionally aircooled in the manner described. The exact percentage of salt in the mix is what stops the sausage from going 'off'. We experienced no problems with insects but wouldn't suggest making them in the height of summer.
We made ours in the winter and you need somewhere cool, dry and with a good through draught of fresh air in which to hang them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum