Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's your favorite celebrity chef and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ERdept

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Who's your favorite celebrity chef and why? Reply with quote

I actually like Gordon Ramsay, though he's a arse at times. Seems many good chef's have an angst built in to them and are perfectionist.

Interesting history with him as a former athelete. But he's got solid credentials.

His books are classically inclined toward French and Spanish, and are not for the cook looking for a quick an easy meal, but a good meal. They're complicated and involved and require non ordinary ingredients (truffles, creme freasch, etc)

My first favorite was Juia Child. As a kid who liked cooking, I'd watch her with my mom and we'd write recipes and try them.

kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Alton Brown of course! Reply with quote

Our favorite is Alton Brown (although he would never label himself a chef, nor would have Julia Child) because he appeals to both the engineering/science side of things (you gotta love his cold bacon smoker from the "Scrap Iron Chef" episode or his cardboard-box hot smoker from his Salmon episode) and has a very python-esque sense of humor.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite celebrity chef is Bobby Flay because he is a great chef and has wonderful recipes. I have eaten in his restaurants numerous times when he was actually there, he is very knowledgeable, and with his Cooking Network program, Showdown, he isn't afraid to lose, he often does, and he is a great sport about it.

I would love to see Alton Brown compete on "The Iron Chef." I know it would be a great contest, except Alton would need his sous chef to do the plating, since he admits he likes it very simple and doesn't think much about plating the dishes.
jonah523

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Bourdain is my favorite, mainly because I like his "try everything" philosophy, even though I may be a little squeemish at times to follow it.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........My favorite celebrity chef is Bobby Flay because he is a great chef and has wonderful recipes. I have eaten in his restaurants numerous times ...

interesting.

I was working Vegas for 3 yrs; went to Mesa Grill.
Flay's 'sauces' are a thing of delight, even for me who is not a 'burn off yo' lips' fan.

I found Mesa Grill extremely overpriced. like double any imaginative number.

had the shellfish on rocksalt appetizer (Oysters Rockefeller...?) found it over cooked, dry and tough, the waitstaff said I should sent him a email.
not exactly my anticipated reaction.

otoh, done Emeril's steak joint and the fish joint - and was very pleased.
did Delmonico in New Orleans and altho the dishes were very good, the noisy echoing dining 'Saal' severely detracted from the experience.
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Alton Brown of course! Reply with quote

kgb1001001 wrote:
Our favorite is Alton Brown....... a very python-esque sense of humor.

I love that show. My TiVo records about 2-3 episodes per day.

I normally hate watching cooking shows but his has so much science to keep it interesting.
Brent01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Who's your favorite celebrity chef and why? Reply with quote

ERdept wrote:

Martin Yan.

Why? Because: "Yan can cook, and so can you!"

Great slogan and entertaining shows.

Of course, I also liked the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr. Especially when he brought out the vino to incorporate into the dish (or perhaps take a few sips of while cooking). Very entertaining. He makes cooking fun! And enjoys himself at the same time.

Nothing wrong with Chef Ramsey, either. Like his down-to-earth cooking style. Fresh ingredients, good tastes, healthy food choices. What's not to like? The guy knows how to make money with a restaurant. No one better at that, hands down.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: General Food Discussion Reply with quote

Anthony Bourdain is my favorite again..No words for his food.
RobertGarcia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: General Food Discussion Reply with quote

Martin Yan..because I love his food. That's all.
grover

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Bourdain

there is something unnaturally happy about celebrity chefs. at least Anthony Bourdain is believable. take that paula deen.
diymonkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 more vote for Gordon Ramsay because of the great show
Not that I know most of the other celebrity chefs though
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: favorite chef Reply with quote

That would be Anthony Bourdain...I love his show NO reservations although he doesn't cook in that show.
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to be JULIA CHILD before she passed away.. (BEFORE SHE STARTED HAVING OTHER PEOPLE ON HER SHOW,THEN IT STARTED TO SUCK)
ajimmyadams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite chef is India's akshey kumar because he is also a good actor and fighting hero!
KitchenBarbarian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A favorite? Only ONE?

I don't think of any of the ones I actually like as "celebrity" chefs. But quibbling over nomenclature aside and in no particular order:

Martin Yan
Julia Child (even though I would actually cook almost nothing from her show)
Galloping Gourmet
Alton Brown (even though he gets it wrong, he gets it right more often than most anybody else)
The Cajun Chef - Justin ... ??? Wilson???? can't remember his last name
Frugal Gourmet, scandal notwithstanding
The Vah Chef = vahrevah.com = Sanjay Thumma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum