Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Two New Shows on Discovery Health

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooking For Engineers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Off Topic: Two New Shows on Discovery Health Reply with quote

Article Digest:
Last week I was contacted by a PR firm representing the Discovery Health Channel about two new cooking shows they are premiering on Thursday, March 29, 2007 (at 10:00 and 10:30 PM EST/PST). Up until the time that I got the e-mail, I didn't even know there was a Discovery Health Channel (there is - it's part of the Comcast Digital Classic lineup in my area). Both new shows, Lyon in the Kitchen and Healthy Dedadence are aimed toward the calorie conscious.

The first show, Lyon in the Kitchen (at 10:00PM), is really focused on using fresh ingredients. Nathan Lyon (some of you will recognize as a finalist in 2006's The Next Food Network Star) says "the fresher the ingredient, the better the food" and takes you "grocery stores, mom and pop places, and even roadside stands" to prove his point. Nathan seems to be a real proponent of buying local (to "support the community") and in season ("buying out of season, that means it's picked early and doesn't have a lot of flavor"), which is a philosophy about ingredients that I whole heartedly agree with. From the few clips that I watched, Nathan seems to have a good sense of humor and a pleasant attitude about food preparation. Also, the press release promises that Nathan will show us how to find the freshest produce from stands to farms, so I'll watch at least the first couple episodes just for that. It was unclear to me how his show is more "calorie-friendly" than other (fresh ingredient) cooking shows (perhaps that's a phrase that cooking shows on Discovery Health need to stick in for marketing reasons).
[IMG]

While Lyon in the Kitchen might be calorie-ambiguous, Healthy Decadence (at 10:30PM) is all about the calories. Devin Alexander (who wrote the Biggest Loser Cookbook that accompanied the NBC show in 2006) apparently specializes in reducing calories (mainly by reducing fat) in classic dishes. She selects "the right cuts" of meat and "simple cooking techniques" (such as replacing some chocolate in a recipe with instant coffee) to reduce fat. Hopefully, her recipes will work better than those provided by Juan-Carlos Cruz in his Calorie Countdown Cookbook (Cooking For Engineers will have a review written by David Papandrew at some point in the future; David's been working through some of the recipes and needed a break after a really bad one involving carnitas made from pork boiled in enchilada sauce). Devin is up beat, is excited about low calorie cooking, and reminded me of a lower-key Rachael Ray. If you're a calorie watcher, her show should be worth checking out.
[IMG]

Vincci

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a TV, let alone cable, so I unfortunately won't get enjoy these two shows. I don't know if I'd enjoy Healthy Decadence though. It seems like a good premise, but if Devin Alexander is (like you say) anything like Rachael Ray, I'm sure I'll be flipping the channel...
moody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be so many things that are shown to make people aware of their growing calories but I do not think that there are enough people who are willing to pay heed to this as people nowadays are too much involved in money making and therefore they dont like to waste time looking after themselves.
youngcook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch TV anymore, but these sound interesting. Maybe I should get a friend to tape it for me or consider getting satellite again.Hmmm.... Big smile
JoshGray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Devin is NOT like Rachel Ray Reply with quote

Whoa, Devin may be like Rachel Ray in terms of the fact that she is a perky brunette, but I'm hooked on this show and trust me....she is a HOT-TIE! She doesn't sound like she's been talking to too many hockey players the way Rachel does and she doesn't do all of the annoying abbreviations that Rachel does. Let's just say that ANY guy would be excited to take Devin home to mom...or anywhere else! Wink
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the Grilled Halibut and Provincial Bread Salsa episode of Lyon in the Kitchen and caught these mistakes in the first five minutes:
1. The on screen tips say that olive oil has monosaturated fats
2. He says his provincial bread salsa is homage to Provence (which means he meant provençal instead)
3. He claims the Provence-style is from Italy (Provence is French)

I find myself watching the show only for the first two minutes where he visits a food source...
kel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: That's Nathan, Not Devin. Devin is a Woman Reply with quote

You have your shows confused. Devin is the hottie we're talking about here. Nathan is the other one--the one who uses fresh ingredients.
cfowler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Nathan Lyon Reply with quote

Where is Nathan Lyon now? I have looked a week ahead and cannot find his program. I was really enjoying his show. Thankyou
Lintu

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olive oil does have monounsaturated fats. The majority of its composition is monounsaturated.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lintu wrote:
Olive oil does have monounsaturated fats. The majority of its composition is monounsaturated.

Yes but he put monosaturated on the screen - there's no such thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: