Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pickle substitution quandary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducttapesmarts

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Pickle substitution quandary Reply with quote

Hi,

My roommate and I really want to try to make some homemade pickles, but she is allergic to Onions (really most of the entire Allium family). Most of the recipes I've found for pickles have onions included. Does anyone know if the onions are required? Will disincluding the onions affect the brining?

Thanks in advance,

T.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Refrigerator dills -- a matter of taste Reply with quote

So, most dill pickle recipes I'm aware of (including Refrigerator dills) do include something like either onions or garlic, but that's entirely there for flavor and is a matter of personal preference. To be honest, you could substitute any strong flavor you choose. You could make up a homemade pickling spice and add things like whole peppercorns, or even (yum) hot peppers, or you could use one of many commercially available pickling spices, many of which do not contain garlic or onions. I grew up with homemade dills that never contained either, and I can't say that there were any better or worse than any of the commercial brands -- just a little different.

One thing I'd recommend -- try making Refrigerator pickles before you embark upon buying all the equipment necessary for home canning -- it'll be cheaper, and you may find you never find the need to "put up" pickles for long periods anyway.
NeiNastran

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is in the Allium family?
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....What else is in the Allium family?

all the onions, spring onions/scallions
leeks / ramps
garlics
cloves
chives

are the most commonly encountered.

if it's got "layers" in the stalk or root, likely to be in the family
ducttapesmarts

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help! And we were very much planning on the refrigerator pickles first.
IDontUse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite substitute was habaneros. I almost died.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum