Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Prime rib Reply with quote

Real engineer here. (Eagle Group, food service equipment manufacturer)

I have engineered a Cook And Hold cabinet (CH6000) and the owner of our company wanted me to show some out of town sales reps how good it will cook prime rib. As we wanted to be sure it was done in plenty of time, and wanted to cook it overnight, we looked on the net for slow cooking instructions. I read enough of the postings to see that some people said it would take less and others said it would take all 45 minutes. It was a 14lb 7.4oz roast,200˚F at 45 minutes a pound would put it done 10 hours and 51 minutes. We put it in at 10:00pm (yep, made a special trip back to work to get the roast in the cabinet) figuring that it would be done around 9:00.

This may be a good time to fill in everyone about the cabinet. It is a convection "oven" that is plumbed directly into a water source to keep the humidity level up (moist meat). Digital controls, temperature probe, indefinite holding at another specified temperature...

Well, when we got here at 6:30am, it was already in hold mode. The clock indicated that it was done cooking around 3:00am. I stuck in a regular meat thermometer and the core temperature was 128˚F. When I finally cut the roast at 11:50 IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! From the first slice, it was as pink as a rare meat eater would want it to be cooked. Every slice was the same way. The roast was just as tender as it could be... So, my cooking time was about 21 minutes a pound, but the temperature probe did its job and put it into a hold temperature of 130˚F (instead of a Polder beeping at me)

Slow cooking is the way to cook prime rib!!! Thank you very much!!!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Prime rib Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
So, my cooking time was about 21 minutes a pound, but the temperature probe did its job and put it into a hold temperature of 130˚F (instead of a Polder beeping at me)

I've written a few articles on prime rib cooking since I posted this one to Cooking For Engineers, so I can't remember if I've mentioned it before on CFE (because I know I've discussed it elsewhere):

Cooking time for prime rib cannot be calculated by X minutes per pound.

I'll try to put together a newer, more up-to-date prime rib article.
neeki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi michael, great website you have here. i love the recipes and so does my family. my mother's bringing home a 2 kilo rib roast today, and i'd just like to clarify: when tying the roast, i tie it around, once at each end, between the ribs? um, sort of like a wrapped candy that's tied at the ends?
once again, compliments on this site. so far i've made the chocolate truffles, mushroom soup, chicken pot pie, pancakes, lamb chops, all to great success. and my mother loves your tiramisu recipe.
by the way, on the recipe card, you convert 200 F to 90 F; i'm sure you mean 90 deg C.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neeki wrote:
i'd just like to clarify: when tying the roast, i tie it around, once at each end, between the ribs? um, sort of like a wrapped candy that's tied at the ends?

You only need to tie this roast if you've cut off the bones already (some butchers do it to make it easier to serve later - but if they do, they usually tie them back on for you). If that's the case, you just tie the roast between the ribs - no need for the other direction. If the ribs are intact, no need to tie this roast at all.

neeki wrote:
by the way, on the recipe card, you convert 200 F to 90 F; i'm sure you mean 90 deg C.

And this is why I love the web - I can fix typos discovered years later! I've actually updated it to 95 degrees C. Thanks for catching that!
mschweitzer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: prime rib Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've never cooked a prime rib before. I'm doing an 11 lb. roast for Thanksgiving. There's no mention of whether to cover the roast or not--what is your preference? Also, at 200 degrees x 11 lbs. I will be cooking the roast for 8 hrs???? Can that be right? Thanks for the help!
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uncovered.

slow cooking time varies a bit -
items that cause this:
slight/moderate/wild oven actual temps for the indicated setting
amount of moisture in the roast (ie fresh vs dry aged)
bone to meat mass ratio
to answer your question, can it really take 8 hours? at 200'F, yes.

convection oven add more variability - convection is not assumed in this slow cook method.

it is absolutely essential to use a thermometer and check the internal temps as you go along. if it's going too fast you have adequate notice to turn the oven down/off in getting the guests and the food ready at the same time.

if you have the option to get a dry aged roast from a good butcher, go for it. stuff in the supermarkets is not dry aged; you can do this at home - 3 days makes a difference, 5 days is max. in the home refrig.
Wilson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: 2nd Prime Rib roast this year! :) Reply with quote

On January 02, 2008 I made a 9# roast and for Thanksgiving I we made a slightly smaller one at 7#. This one came out perfect again. YUM!

Here's the break down for 7# roast.
==7# Roast==
Rub- fresh garlic/rosemary and course sea salt/black pepper and garlic salt

Standing temp 46*F
Preheat 200*F and continue cooking at 200*F

9:30am Enters oven at 200*F

12:00pm (internal temp - 107*F)

12:45pm (internal temp - 125*F Set temp to 450*F)

1:10pm Exit oven (internal temp - 130*F)
Wrap in foil
1:20PM Removed foil when internal temp was 135*F and let sit to 140*F before carving.

1:30pm Late lunch! Smile Perfect medium-medium rare cuts. Delicious!

Wilson Smile
Big Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Prime Rib Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for all these great tips ... After reading, I made my first ever prime roast (for Thanksgiving) and it was fork tender ... Perhaps the best I've eaten anywhere! I use a Big Green Egg, which helps make me look much more talented than I actually am :-) But the tips posted here undoubtedly saved my bacon! Thanks to all!
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: NEED SOME HELP ASAP!! Reply with quote

I am preparing for the first time Christmas eve dinner for my family at my house a delicious or I hope boneless prime rib dinner. It's approximately 6 pounds and I was wondering if because it's boneless the cooking method needs to be modified from the instructions listed above. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Happy Holidays
Dilbert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason -

being boneless it will cook a bit quicker - use a thermometer - essential to judge how fast it's cooking.

enjoy! prime rib is a seriously simple thing to do - season, roast. the entire key is use of the thermometer. you can adjust the oven temp as you go along to ensure it's ready when you want.
Tim Harris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Searing at beginning or end or BOTH? Reply with quote

I have a nice 7 pounder going into the oven today... I know searing at the beginning will lock in the juices, however, what if I seared it at the end also to get that perfect crust?

So what if I Sear at 450 at the beginning for 10 mins

then again at the end of the cook (when it reaches 128) for another 10 mins at 450?

Then let stand till roast hits 135.. What does everyone think?
billandcory

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: high Temp Reply with quote

Is it better to sear the roast at 500 first and then lower to ~200 or roast until almost ready to pull and then go to high heat
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add to Tim's confusion,,,,

"searing to retain juices" - okay, #1, the whole theory is debatable, but past that #2 the implied theory applies to high heat grilling & roasting.

a prime rib roast will contract and not bleed all over the floor/pan - even at relatively low temps - without an initial "searing"

my approach is to cook it low and slow. when I hit 128'F (rare) then I decide whether it needs a high heat blast for a pretty crunchy crust, and judge the carry over cooking from that point.
Tim Harris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: to sear or not to sear Reply with quote

Ok Thanks Dilbert,

i think I will take the approach of "wait and see" when it hits 128..

I DO however like my Prime Rib with a nice crust, I'll just blast it at the end if it is not to my liking...

I cant see it forming a crust at 200 F
jls

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Rib Roast Reply with quote

I want to sear at 500 before cooking at 200. How long should I sear at 500.
It will be a 5 rib roast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 13 of 30

Jump to: