Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Grilled Salmon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: marinate longer Reply with quote

I'm going to give it a try as spelled out here, but have you ever marinated it for more than 15 minutes (like overnight) with success? I'm wondering how the flavors would be. Thanks.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: marinate longer Reply with quote

Bill wrote:
I'm going to give it a try as spelled out here, but have you ever marinated it for more than 15 minutes (like overnight) with success? I'm wondering how the flavors would be. Thanks.

When I marinated much longer (an hour or more) I found the salmon was way too mushy. I really didn't like the texture. For me, salmon is a pretty finicky meat - cook it too long and it's no good, too mushy and it's no good, unfresh and it's no good... but when you get it right - it's awesome.
Debra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Grilled Salmon my way Reply with quote

Marinade: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 Tbs lemon juice, 2 crushed garlic gloves, 2 tsps sugar. I use a ziplock bag. Marinate salmon no more than 30 minutes. Remove from marinade (discard marinade) and place on double thickness paper towel skin side down. Blot top with paper towel. Generously crack pepper on top. Let stand for a few minutes (I'm convinced this gives it a good crust).

Since I'm too lazy to fire up the grill, I usually preheat a good ol' cast iron pan and when its hot, put in a bit of olive oil. I cook the salmon starting skin side down, for five minutes (or less depending on thickness) each side. This is a foolproof and really, really, really good recipe!

I serve it with a salad made with greens, crumbled goat cheese, toasted pecans and dried cranberries with a homemade honey mustard vinagrette (also simple, foolproof and delicious).
CompWiz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Great Recipe Reply with quote

I recently made this recipe and it turned out great. I'm definitely not usually a fan of normal baked fish, especially salmon, but I'm glad I tried this recipe. The glaze really gave it a nice flavor, much nicer, in my opinion, than that of plain salmon. Also, the flavor wasn't overbearing.

Just to note, I baked it in the oven(rather than grilling it), and it came out fine. I'd love to try this again when I have access to a grill.

keep up the great work. Smile
Bailey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

My husband found this site and used this recipe to suprise me with grilled Salmon. It was delicious. It was his first time grilling fish so he just used blackened seasoning to be on the safe side. It was so good I ate it for three days. Now that he is more adventurous, he is going to try this Soy-Maple glaze. I am excited. Thanks for turning him into a gourmet cook.
jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: from california Reply with quote

Hey all - what a great site.. i catch wild salmon straight out of the American River here in Sacramento at the Nimbus Dam.... 15 - 30 pounders, and the fillets are the size of a book. Anyway - this recipe is the best there is. I've prepared fresh wild salmon every way you can think of....... complain and/or change the recipe all you want, but the original one is the bomb. Take it from a pro fisherman and bbq-man....or not.....
Brigal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: maple Salmon Reply with quote

this recipe is very similiar to what i do but i take a 1/2cup soy sauce and 1/2 cup maple syrup and pour it into a big ziploc bag and cut up the salmon into single servings and put it into the bag too then marinate in the fridge for as little as half an hour to a full 24 (i cant tell the difference to much between 12 and 24 hours though) then i get the bbq nice and hot but turn the burners to a medium and wipe with some oil so the fillets don't stick then bbq for 3-5 min per side (trying to get some good grill marks on there to candy it ). makes a really tasty salmon but it is quite sweet (as i like it just plain and grilled with just a little bit of olive oil and herbs but for people that dont really like fish they love this)

As for the people that marinade the salmon in lemon this would effectively cook the salmon (with the acids).
novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Can I cook this using electric grill? Reply with quote

I live in an apartment, so indoor gas grill is a no no. Can I try this on an electric grill?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Teriyaki maple syrup grilled salmon Reply with quote

I just did something like this. I was more crude about it. Fired up the BBQ (medium heat) Put the (1 1/2" thick) salmon fillets on it. Sprinkled the exposed side with Kikkoman teriyaki sauce. Flipped them over after about 8 mins and did the other side the same way. Flipped them over one more time and poured about a tablespoon of maple syrup down the length of each fillet after sprinkling with ground black pepper. Cooked for about 2 mins more to let the maple syrup carmelize. It was good!
5frys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Grilled Salmon is GREAT! Reply with quote

We got 4 salmon steaks and used this recipe. It was fabulous! We have 3 children and it was a hit with them as well! We live on a remote island and fish is abundant. We went to the fish market in search of Swordfish, but alas it was not in.............we only get in fresh daily and today they had salmon, so we tried this recipe and it was just wonderful. So this one is a keeper. Much more down to earth than a lot of other fancy smanchy recipes on line. Thanks a million................. The Frymier family Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
dano

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Grilled salmon easy and great tasting Reply with quote

Salmon is an excellent tasting fish. If overcooked however it will be dry and tough. If pan frying you dont need to add any oil as salmon supplies its own. Salmon is great for grilling as it usually can hold its form without coming apart.

On a hot grill salmon should only take about 6 mins to cook. Thats about 3 1/2 - 4 mins on 1 side and an additional 2 mins or so on the flip side.

Salmon works best with minimal seasoning. ALWAYS rince your salmon and dry THEN season with salt and pepper before cooking. My faforite pan frying method would be to add 2 fresh sage leaves on each sides of the salmon and nothing else. This method works well with grilling also, but you will want to mince the sage leaves and press said leaves onto the salmon steak/filet.

When grilling or pan frying only flip ONCE. Flipping more than once can ruin the look of the steak/filet. If grilling always start on the best looking side of the salmon and put that side down on the gill to get nice looking grill marks. If desired, after about 2 mins rotate the salmon 90 degrees to get criss cross grill marks.

Again, 6 mins is about all it should take to cook a salmon steak or filet.

Try it, like it, eat it.

Salmon goes great with roasted potato's, wild rice, mashed potato's, roasted tomatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and many other wonderful veggies and starches.

HOpe you enjoy.

dano
Starlight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this twice and it's the only time I've ever heard someone ask if there was more salmon. Truly great recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: grilled salmon Reply with quote

I grilled this over charcoal in a Big Green Egg at about 400 degrees. I marinaded a 1 lb skin-on fillet for 15 minutes, put it skin side up on the grill and then flipped it after 3 minutes. I've found that for salmon, its cooked in this oven when the skin is almost completely charred - about 5 minutes. The flavor was wonderful, as others have found. The reason I'm posting this is to plug the Green Egg, which is a ceramic grill/smoker based on kamado ovens. This isn't a tail gater unit as the standard size weighs about 140lbs. Its claimed that its not as drying as a standard grill and thats been my experience - you would really have to go out of your way to mess up. I'm linking this recipe for the future .......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: "Traditional" barbeque variation Reply with quote

When watching the history of barbeque one lazy summer afternoon on the history channel, it mentioned that the original grills were piles of coal or wood that would be covered with damp edible leaves and herbs that would act as an easy clean up surface to cook the food on. I also had access to a large amount of sage (a small bush growing in an herb garden) a charcoal grill and a large slab of salmon. After starting the coals I covered the surface of the grill with a thick layer of the herbs and threw some on the coals for good measure because I like smoked salmon. I then put the slab of salmon on the herbs whole, skin side down, and let it cook about 12 minutes (when it was cooked through on my fire). The easiest part was removing the fish from the grill because I could simply pick up the herbs with some tongs and everything lifted as a unit. The herbs got a little burnt but made an impressive presentation as a mat under the fish and nicely removed the skin (as it was stuck securely to the herbs) which although very nutritious isn't very tasty unless nicely crisped on a broiler. The flavor was wonderful and I've successfully repeated this method. Good luck!
Steve0000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Grilling Salmon on the George Forman Reply with quote

When I don't have access to a grill ... I've had great success using my George Forman to grill fish.

1) Heat up the George Forman to full heat
2) Take your FROZEN salmon, rinse under cold water to remove any ice.
3) Brush the FROZEN salmon with olive oil on both sides.
4) Place the FROZEN and oiled salmon on the hot George Forman grill and close the lid.
5) Cook for 7-10 minutes, turning as needed to ensure the sides get cooked.

The FROZEN salmon ensures the fish stays moist during cooking, the olive oil creates a perfect crust. It's delicious!

Also ... for the perfect Medium Rare steak on a George Forman grill, butter and season both sides of a THAWED steak ... place on a hot grill, close the lid and cook for 7 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: