Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Dirty Rice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Dirty rice Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been looking for a dirty rice recipe and this really sounds great. I will make it this weekend. Your great directions and pictures will be very easy to follow.

The problem is that the google ads next to you recipe included a listing for "enema recipes." What an awful thing to put with food recipes.

Molly
ta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: boil-in-bag rice Reply with quote

Can I use uncooked Success boil-in-bag rice?
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Rice Reply with quote

Sounds disgusting, but looks interesting. I'll have to try a similar recipe with regular meat instead.

PS: Molly, I think that the Google ads are put up automatically, and no one controls it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Louisiana and as a child my aunt had a friend who was pure cajun. I remember she made dirty rice for my aunt and it was one of the best dishes i've ever had, but as a kid i did not get the recipe. I am 65 years old and have tried to fine her recipe. Made yours and it was exactly like hers. thank you so much.Reminded me of when i was young.
Magnum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like dirty rice (with organs) especially spicy and with Jerk chicken. Wonderful!
Marcy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice recipe - not dissimilar from my own. I can't really stress enough to readers though, that if it doesn't contain chicken liver, it isn't actually dirty rice...it's more like a basic Jambalaya. That said, even persons who state they do not like liver, like dirty rice. It does NOT "taste like liver." The flavors meld and become something wondrous and altogether different than the individual ingredients would lead a person to believe. It is even better the following day, reheated.

Try adding some good andouille sausage (coarse ground pork, redolent with garlic and cracked pepper, then smoked) for a real treat.
Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Dirty Rice Reply with quote

Yes, I would also like to stress that the liver and gizzard flavor is so married into the rest of the flavors in the dish that if you didn't know they were in there you wouldn't know they were in there. I DESPISE all types of animal liver, heart, variety meats, etc., but I know from two years as asst. kit. mgr. at a popular local cajun restaurant that authentic dirty rice is absolutely divine! I rapidly got to the point where I was living on red beans and rice, and could easily go back to it at any time! Just try the recipe, you'll be convinced.
charlie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: liver Reply with quote

Liver is excellent! i'm glad to see more uses for liver.

regards,
charlie
rustan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

I'm from Philippines and we, filipinoes, love liver and gizzards. The moment i've seen your Dirty Rice recipe, I can't wait to try it! I'm not a professional cook and i didn't had a proper knowledge in terms of cooking so please bear with my version of your Dirty Rice. I've created a blog after I've created your Dirty Rice and posted it there. Kindly visit it at http://kusinerongpinoy-barney.blogspot.com/ and good job on maintaining this wonderful site!
herc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: dirty rice Reply with quote

great recipe, i doubled everything and added a pound of ground pork.
my children are in their teens and they enjoyed it for dinner, then they enjoyed it with overlight eggs for breakfast and they heated it up in microwave and ate it for snack. I spent roughly $10 on all ingredients and comparatively speaking it would have cost about $40 to get same quantity at popeyes chicken. I will make again tomorrow. Laughing Out Loud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Alternative. Reply with quote

i have made a few variations to this dish one is with stewing beef and/or ground beef. I also added green&white onions finely chopped. This variation tastes great. Also you can sub the beef for veggie burgers that you cut up into smaller peaces for those who are vegetarians. Also you can use tofu. I used extra firm fried but add it to the mix after the rice is cooked otherwise the tofu will fall apart. Both variations turned our really good. Also i caramelized the white onion and garlic together.

How to caramelize garlic/onions.

Garlic:
1 Garlic head; unpeeled
1 tbsp Olive oil

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut off top quarter inch of garlic head. Drizzle oil over head. Wrap head in tin foil. Bake until golden, about one hour.

Onions: Chop the onion into crescent shape and slow cook with oil and/or butter tell the onions are translucent and lightly brown.
ackebea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: love it Reply with quote

I live in TX and I just love it

http://swedish-recipes.net
Chadwick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: rice cooker Reply with quote Delete this post

I cook the rice with chicken stock in my rice cooker, and then toss everything in the wok at the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: