Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Evaporator - Catches flavor in a bottle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: The Evaporator - Catches flavor in a bottle Reply with quote

Hay,

I saw this on a friends food site and ran over here as fast as I could. It's a little pricey, but the cool factor is an easy 5 Mega Fonzies.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/30a9f39472685110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Maybe we can get a price reduction with a "group buy." Big smile
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I want one SO bad! But $3000 is a lot of money...

This reminds me of the movie/book Perfume where the main character spends his life learning to distill the essence (smell) of things (in an attempt to capture the ultimate essence of a woman and/or innocence).
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the Brinkmann website. Brinkmann Instruments is located about 15 minutes from me! What find. All I need is the $3000. Who wants to be the first on their block with one of these?
dscheidt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really 3K worth of stuff here? It looks like it's a water bath, a vacuum pump, and some glassware. I'm sure the thermostat is very accurate, and I'm not sure how hard the vacuum is, both of which would drive the cost up. But it looks like you ought to be able to put one together for a few hundred.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Heidolph micro evaporator is a piece of analytical laboratory equipment. It is far from a department store tabletop appliance. It may not seem to have $3000 worth of parts, but this piece is the genuine goods in lab equipment, and that requires special grade components, special ratings and certifications. I suppose if you wanted to carry the technique of bottling flavors for ultra-long term storage to the next level, you could take the condensed flavor liquid and lyophilize it. Then, the flavors would last into the next century. Big smile

http://brinkmann.com/products/evap_VVmicro_de.asp

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0333700
CookNewb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this machine much different from supercritical CO2 extraction?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Evaporator - Catches flavor in a bottle Reply with quote

DrBiggles wrote:
Hay,

I saw this on a friends food site and ran over here as fast as I could. It's a little pricey, but the cool factor is an easy 5 Mega Fonzies.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/technology/30a9f39472685110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Biggles

This link has changed. It is no longer the flavor evaporator, but rather a Sorbet machine that is just as cool as the original product in the link. It makes natural sorbet out of anything.

Check out the link again.

PS: I checked it it again, and the evaporator is still there, you just have to scroll through the photos of many amazing, fun to use, albeit expensive products.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I want these gadgets! (I'll use it like crazy for a month and then it'll sit there... in the middle of the night I'll hear whispering coming from the kitchen and I'll follow the noise to the machines where I can barely make out the meaning of their sounds - they want to be part of the set of Iron Chef America or be flied to Spain to join their brothers at El Bulli)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum