Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cherry pitter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Not having cherry pitters readily available is a sign of the doom of mankind and the end of civilization as we know it.
I agree wholeheartedly, we are doomed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nonsense. Buy pre-pitted cherries! Engineers are working on them as we speak!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
What's a cherry pitter, anyway?
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

DuxIl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Cherry pitter Reply with quote

I recently was making a classic Rumtopf. Those in the know will be smacking their lips right now.

Along the way, I wanted to include some fresh cherries and went off in quest of a cherry pitter. Used to be that you would always find them in any supermarket's gadget section, usually as one of the items no one knew what to do with or ever bought... surprise! No more... I have not ventured into any of the specialty shops, but it would seem the cherry pitter has, in common stores at least, gone the way of the dodo.

Now if people no longer pit their own cherries, should this be regarded as the first sign of crumbling civilization? Huh?
wickidpisa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do find it upsetting that you can not easily find a cherry pitter, but I wouldn't call it a sign of the crumbling of civilization. Even most cooks I know would consider a cherry pitter a pretty uncommon tool. Most people I know just halve and pit the cherries with a knife, including my friend with a cherry tree in his yard.

What I really find to be a sign of the crumbling of civilization is that you can buy prechopped vegetables! I was cooking some food for a friend, and I gave him an ingredients list to buy, and he bought onion and celery that was already chopped, and came in plastic bags. I was shocked that they even sell that.
Mrs Tea Pie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: easy way to pit cherries Reply with quote

a friend who has a cherry tree gave me some cherries this summer and told me that she uses a clean large paper clip to pit her cherries. It worked for me too!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I looked, Williams & Sonoma had a cherry pitter or two on the "wall of gadgets" section of most stores.

Here's a link to the same gadget on the Williams & Sonoma website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum