Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weighing Scales: Radically cheaper is sometimes better

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markkubis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Weighing Scales: Radically cheaper is sometimes better Reply with quote

My 240 dollar electronic balance is on its way to the battery division of Panasonic for investigation and repair/replacement because of corrosion caused by a leaking Panasonic battery that made a mess inside the battery compartment of the balance. The battery had a 'use by' date of October 2009.

I've now got my previous 7 dollar plastic mechanical scale out of retirement that I purchased 20 years ago. I've been using it today to mix a variety of ingredients and cannot believe how much more efficient and how much time it saves compared with the high-tech digital type:

1) Immediate read-out of weight.
2) No start-up time delay
3) No waiting for the reading to stabilise.
4) Old style mechanical pointer against a printed scale easier to visualise that digital read-out
5) No batteries required.

What about accuracy? I have just put the special calibration weight that came with the electronic balance (50g) onto the 7 dollar scale and was surprised to find it's needle is on 50g exactly. Even if it were 10% out I doubt that any person would be able detect it in the food that they eat.
Long Island Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Escali Digital Multifunctional Scale Reply with quote

Last couple of years been using an Escali Digital Multifunctional Scale
It has 11 Lb or 5 Kg capacity Resolution: 0.1 oz or 1 gram, and displays in: Ounces, Pounds/Ounces and Grams
Uses two AA batteries with automatic shut-off feature to ensure long battery life.
But the tare feature that allows zeroing the scale with an empty container allowing for the subtraction the container's weight to obtain the weight of its contents, is one of the best features.
All these features I bought for just over $20. Saw them recently for just under $25 on Amazon were there are also posted close to 200 5-star reviews.
Great scale, great buy!!
Antilope

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: To test a digital scale Reply with quote

counter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree that in many case cheaper and basic things are better than luxury and expensive ones....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum