Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Osso Buco
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EngineeringProfessor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Chef Reply with quote

BlackGriffen wrote:
Did you post this because both Flay and Batali did osso buco last night on Iron Chef? I don't remember if Flay used veal or venison, but I know that Mario used turkey.

I wonder if you can do this with just about any cross cut animal leg?

I had pork Osso Buco at the Disney Hilton last Friday. Simply delicious. I have noticed that "shanks" are either sliced (as Michael has in his recipe) or with the long (shank) bone ending in a globular piece of meat, not unlike a turkey leg. The cooked bone sticks up with the meaty end resting in the sauce. I personally prefer that presentation to that of the slices.

Examples:

[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try it on the stove top soon.
Judy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Osobucco Reply with quote

Osobucco is made from the shanks of animals. They can be interchanged, veal, beef, game. This is a chewier cut of meat, I have pressure cooked it to speed up process. I have also used shank for soup bones as someone said they seen in Safeway. These have alot of flavor.
Luca2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Ossobucco Reply with quote

I really love your site. I'm cooking my ossobucco now here in Buenos Aires. A few weeks ago I ordered it at a restaurant called Duero at the corner of Santa Fé and Pueyrredon, a place that is generally reliable if not outstanding. What I did not know is that in Argentina ossobucco is considered a cheap, tough, unpalatable meat. My friends pointed this out to me as I was ordering but the menu said that they braise it for four hours, so I was pretty sure that the chef would know what s/he was doing.

Wrong! First of all, what I got was one enormous hunk of COW leg, not veal. It was four inches tall and filled an entire plate, with a huge bone. Still, with four hours of braising.... No, no such luck. It was horribly tough and reminded me of the bad beef stews I used to make before I knew anything about cooking. It was near closing time so I choked down enough to fill myself up, and will never go back. I'm sure the menu is a lie; four hours of braising should be fine even for a big hunk of meat like this.

But tonight I have osobuco [the Spanish spelling] de ternera (i.e. veal), it looks normal, and best of all the three nice pieces cost about 80 cents Canadian. Let's see if I can conquer this anti-ossobucco prejudice with your recipe!

Luca in Barrio Norte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Osso Bucco Reply with quote

Years ago I had an Osso Bucco in a classic American-Italian restaurant (red flocked wallpaper!) in Las Vegas.

It was seasoned with vinegar - I presume either wine or balsamic. I'm guessing it used a red wine in the sauce, as well. It was very hardy.

I've been ordering Osso Bucco ever since when I see it on the menu, but, to my disappointment, have never run across one seasoned like this.

Has anybody else run accross this?

Gray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Chem. E. and stumbled across your website while looking for a recipe for a big 'family' dinner my friends were all throwing. I had some Ossobucco at a restaurant in Chicago (called Sipori) and loved it... so I wanted to try it. I've probably actually cooked about 5-10 dinners in my whole life, and your website and description were SO easy to follow! It was the hit of the menu. Excellent work!

I got the Veal Shanks from a great butcher shop: Gepperth's Meat Market on Halsted in Lincoln Park. I'm sure most Chicagoans know about it, but if not... give it a look.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray -

there's a couple places in Vegas that do most excellent osso bucco - one being Ferraro's on West Flamingo - another down toward the Henderson line - Dangelo.

I think somebody that worked one place changed jobs or such - very similar and most excellent.

and no, I haven't been able to duplicate it either!
KarenNYC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: greenmarket shanks / length Reply with quote

Thanks for this great site.

I like to support greenmarket purveyors of meat but cuts don't always come exactly as you want them. For ex., I bought a couple of long-ish lamb shanks that, had they been cut in smaller pieces, would have made for a fine, if not as meaty as veal, ossobucco. But the meat seller was not a butcher and I'm not exactly set up for sawing shanks in my apartment, so I braised the shanks. They were delish but I still wonder about home shank-sawing. That would be a different site -- butcheringforengineers dot com.
KarenNYC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: oops spelling Reply with quote

Ossobuco. One c.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

per Wikki...

Ossobuco (Italian for 'holed bone'), in English often spelled 'osso buco' or 'osso bucco', is a Milanese specialty of veal shanks cooked in meat broth and ...

doncha love it when it all doesn't taste the same <g>
north40

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Layering ossobuco in braising pot? Reply with quote

I note that you carefully placed your shanks in one layer and added liquid so that it did not quite cover. My question is, I am cooking it for a crowd, and based on the portion recommendations of my butcher have 16 smallish beef shanks. They will all fit in my 7.5 quart dutch oven, so I intended to layer them in there... (probably will yield 2 to 2-1/2 layers) which I realize means I can only guarantee the marrow will remain intact for the top layer. But will this not work? Will the meat not braise properly? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to look for a way to do them in a single layer.

with multiple layers the bottom would have be be fully submerged to have any of the second layer in liquid. not sure how it would work out - could be boiled bottom layer and braised top layer?

turkey roasting pan? perhaps two pans?
EY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Grill meat instead of pan frying Reply with quote

Hi - love your site. I have a tip for the Osso Bucco. Instead of frying in butter, put the meat under a really hot grill for a few minutes on either side to really sear the meat. Improves the colour and taste of the dish. Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great recipe and photos, very similar to the way I make it.

One comment:

Compared to other recipes on the site, this one brought up a plethora of ads for weight loss.

I love Ossobuco, and yeah, I'm a few pounds over the AHA limits, but, hey, I'm offended by the bombardment.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Compared to other recipes on the site, this one brought up a plethora of ads for weight loss.

Wow, that's weird. The only thing I can think of is that the weight loss ads seem to be performing on this particular recipe. If nobody clicked on the ads, then I'd stop having them (I've already blacklisted several dozen weight loss ads in the past, but it's gotten to the point where I've just given up.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: