Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking Tests: HFCS-Free Cream Sodas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webm0nster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Second for Jones Reply with quote

I would like to second the suggestion you try Jones Creme Soda. It has a unique flavor that tends toward cotton candy like. Best serving for any soda IMHO is put it all in an ice chest and dump two 8lb bags of ice on top, let set for two hours at least. Sometimes we do this with Jones Creme Soda, Jones Green Apple Soda and Mexican Coke on the weekend even if we are not going anywhere. Something about a near frozen coke in a glass bottle. *drool*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're ever in the St. Louis area, I strongly recommend going to Fitz's. The bottled version just doesn't taste as good as a cold mug of cream soda straight off the tap.

They also keep their mugs in the freezer so you sometimes get a layer of frozen cream soda right on the inside of the mug. Yum.

~ Lyra
rich.bronson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love cream soda too but I stopped drinking it years ago because I thought it was just too harmful to your health. But if I could get it without HFCS, then I might reconsider having it every once in a while.
Cjay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to make your own vanilla phosphate and you will never buy ANY of those again!

I miss the days of the Soda Jerk!
Gabe

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Henry Weinhard Reply with quote

I can't help but notice that you did not test Henry Weinhard's Cream Soda. Perhaps you can't get it there, I believe it is bottled in Oregon, but it is the most delicious cream soda in my opinion. They also make a fantastic rootbeer that is deliciously creamy and has an enormous head.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Henry Weinhard Reply with quote

Gabe wrote:
I can't help but notice that you did not test Henry Weinhard's Cream Soda. Perhaps you can't get it there, I believe it is bottled in Oregon, but it is the most delicious cream soda in my opinion. They also make a fantastic rootbeer that is deliciously creamy and has an enormous head.

Henry Weinhard uses HFCS as it's main sweetener and so was disqualified from this tasting.
Terry_Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Sprecher Cream Soda Reply with quote

Sprecher brewery of Wisconsin makes
a cream soda with a rich vanilla / honey flavor.
I don't think it has HFCS in it.
Their root beer is spectacular also.
It's availiable at Menard's in the midwest.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sodas.php

Avoid their Lo-Cal Root beer- they use ghastly bitter saccharine instead of splenda or nutrasweet in it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: HFCS Reply with quote

I was very impressed by your knowledge of HFCS and appreciated you educating your fans about the corn lobby. This was a red flag for me when obama specifically endorsed ethanol fuels ONLY within the united states that the corn lobby has their powerful hand in both the democrat's and the republican parties' back pockets.

I am a nutrition geek and get very happy to see you taking this seriously. Integrity is cool.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: HFCS Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
This was a red flag for me when obama specifically endorsed ethanol fuels ONLY within the united states that the corn lobby has their powerful hand in both the democrat's and the republican parties' back pockets.

I don't know where you heard that Obama specifically endorsed ethanol only since I know he's promoted biodiesel as a fuel as well as other alternative fuels. (Tina and I both use biodiesel only in our vehicles so it is of particular interest to us.) Also, at the moment corn is the main source of U.S. ethanol production but it need not be so - there are a variety of other grains, plants, and even bacteria and algae that may be promising for the future of ethanol. With the current economic crisis, I suppose we'll have to wait a while to see if President-elect Obama will stand by his word and promote a multitude of new fuel sources (or if he's in the pockets of the corn lobby). I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Zuberfizz Reply with quote

The best cream soda that I have ever had in my life is micro-brewed in Durango, Colorado. Unfortunately it is only available locally, but whenever I'm near I have to pick up several cases. Its called Zuberfizz cream soda, and if you ever get the chance, you must try it.
kuul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Best Cream soda Reply with quote Delete this post

The best cream soda I've tasted is American Honey Cream Soda. It is hands down the best cream soda I have ever tasted. It is perfect and hits the spot every time. Only problem is that it's very rare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: