Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What other Hobbies and Pass times do you have?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: What other Hobbies and Pass times do you have? Reply with quote

What other hobbies and pass times do you guys have?'

I like to mess about making things, and work with many different materials.

A few of my "and here's one I made earlier" photos of stuff that I have made.

Pencil cases that I make, in various stages of work in progress. Each pencil case takes me a little over 20 hours to complete.
I never sell them, and only make them to give away as gifts to family and special friends.

[/img]

The screw top has a matchstick covered small compartment with a flip top, for the storage of erasers, pencil, sharpeners, Paper clips and the like. the Matchstick covered tube on the right of this picture originally contained Anti-acid tablets. It is large enough to house 30 X £1 coins.

[img][/img]

A pair of 10 inches high, steel, Rampant Stallions, I drew the stallion's profile out by hand and then used the Magic eye profiler at work to cut the steel.

The top of my walking stick, a piece of naturally twisted Hazel, the twist was caused by a Honey suckle runner growing up the Hazel.

[img][/img]

My 1500 matchstick poster tube, Graphite stick and eraser sketch of my health care worker, my Cardboard Rampant stallion statuette, and my naturaly twisted hazel walking stick.

[img][/img]

A close up of my laminated cardboard Stallion as work in progress.

[img][/img]

My first (and so far only) attempt at cross stitch. This was a Christmas card for my daughter, and took me about 7 hours to do. Under the careful supervision of my ever watchful elderly Aunt and her friend with a very large bottle of Vodka

[img][/img]

My Red Tail Hawks.

[img][/img]
Gareth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do a little Ferreting for Rabbits, although I don't have any Ferrets myself. However, I have made my own Ferret Box for when I borrow the Ferrets from a friend.

Ferrets are put into a Rabbit burrow, and either indvidual Purse nets put over each hole or a Long net surrounding the whole burrow to catch the Rabbits, If we are Purse netting, I will often take a Red tail Hawk with me to account for bolting Rabbits from any holes that we may have missed.

Here is my Ferret Box, shown in it's construction phases.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The box is 10 inches wide, 12 inches high. The outside radius is 35 inches, the inside radius 25 inches, From outside corner to outside corner in a straight line across the arch is 36 inches. The timber used was 3/4 X 3/4 for the battening, 3/8 WBC exterior plywood for the top, bottom and ends, for the curved sides 3/16 WBC exterior plywood. Brass piano hinge, and catches. 3/4 inch No 6 stainless steel woodscrews, 3/4 inch copper nails, and polyurethane marine wood glue through out. The whole thing weighs in at around 10lbs.

I chose to make two compartments to hold two ferrets each, and the doors hinged at the centre so that the Ferreter had somewhere to sit without impaling his ass on the knobs and catches, while the Ferrets are down the burrows doing their thing.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig the Farret case! You must be one helluva busy man with all those hobbies!!!

My only real hobbies these days are roasting my own coffee, going to football (soccer) matches, and flying my radio controlled airplane.....other than that....I used to make electric guitars, but haven't done that in a couple of years now.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^ How is your coffee roasting coming along? If you give a favorable report, I may start doing that again.

My hobbies include bicycling (but not when the roads have sand in winter), photography, which used to be exclusively medium format black and white film, but now, with the maturation of digital SLR cameras into the 12+ MegaPixel range, I do that too and hate to admit that film isn't as good as good digital. I also enjoy gardening, listening to music and going to the theater. I like home projects--I have done a lot of architectural moulding in the house, built a two story industrial strength shed to much better specs than my house, and built a herringbone brick patio behind my house with 12,500 bricks--which I'm glad I did because it looks great and I got into really good condition carrying all those bricks and shoveling 30 yards of crushed bluestone and sand, but wouldn't do it again because it took much longer than anticipated to complete.
Gareth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Saturday or Sunday each month, I have a day pleasure cycling. Nothing special just load the bike on the car, and drive out to some where special, and then start a circular route of 12-15 miles taking in a pub lunch.

Once a month I go fishing, either live/deadbaiting, lure (baitcasting, spinning or Jerkbaiting) or fly fishing for Pike and Zander (Walleye).

On Tuesday evenings each a week I do an NVQ Aromatherapy course, and on Thursday evenings I play backgammon.

As a live alone 45 year old widower of 4 years now, other evenings are reserved for either dating, domestic chores or other pass times.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
^^^^ How is your coffee roasting coming along? If you give a favorable report, I may start doing that again.

It's going GREAT actually....My roaster has a tube I can attach to the top and "pipe" most of the smoke and smell outside...but the taste, oh, it's so worth it just for the better coffee......

I have noticed something though...one particular brazilian bean does not grind well...why, I have no idea...I have tried different roasts, but it still doesn't grind well and it is kind of bothering me.....other than that thought it is going great!
ERdept

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect custom knives and swords. I have quite a large firearms collection that I enjoy shooting. I also like photography, and racing with anything that has a motor.

Oh yeah, fishing is good too, and camping. Oh, there's that travel bug too.

Just too many interest and too little time and money.
erikaj

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend some of my free time reading and writing fictions. I also do a lot of scrap booking-placing photos, souvenirs and memorabilia in a scrapbook. I also enjoy photography, just taking photos of anything I find interesting. I also love making desserts which I do every weekend in which I have more time available.
Gareth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was 3 years ago, and since then I have a new partner, so my hobby & pastimes have been slightly cut down.

I have sold my birds of prey, but miss working with them them and so I just may get another pair next year. However, I still do the woodwork, but I am now concentrating on reclaimed timber (especially reclaimed Pallets) projects for use around our garden, I also have a young Border Collie now which takes up some of my time exercising, Flyball & Agility training and just enjoying walks out, but I have also taken up Hardcourt Bicycle Polo; playing for my local team once a week and I either take part in or organise monthly AlleyCats (treasure hunts on bicycles). On a Friday evenings I go to the Norwich Music House free acoustic sessions, but not being musical or able to play an instrument I help out as a roadie for the set up and tear down, and every 5th week I promote, organise, and present the acoustic evening.

I am fast approaching 50 years old, work between 45 and 50 hours a week in my own small business ..... but the crucial factor is that I do not waste my life sat in front of the TV.

alankok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm practising Tai Chi which is commonly misconception by majority that's the sport/hobby most suitable for senior citizen. However, i found it is very tough for any age group
goodwin1911

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy travel and photo shooting, focusing on landscape, mountain, river, etc.
davidnobel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Other pasttimes Reply with quote

Gareth...that is too cool. Bicycle Crokett :-) haha...Love it. I would have to try that one.

My other past time is I play guitar. Have played live on TV once, been on tour (long time ago). But I still write and enjoy getting the guitar out :-)
jqueeng02

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: hobbies Reply with quote

wow Gareth your works are amazing!!!My only pastimes will include reading,writing,listening to music and watching my fave tv shows...
smithsleonardo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other hobbies are:
1. Skating.
2. Painting.
3. Gardening.
4. Reading.
counter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hobby is taking care of animals.At the moment I have 2 dogs, 8 cats,17 pigeons and 4 hedgehogs....I like spending my time with them....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Anything Goes All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum