Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The great server crash of 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Messages from Michael
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: The great server crash of 2008 Reply with quote

For those of you wondering what happened to Cooking For Engineers the last week - well, we experienced a hard drive failure on our server. There was a bit of a communication problem between my and my hosting company which delayed the delivery of the downed hard disk to a drive recovery center, so I didn't get the data until this morning. The problems were exacerbated by the fact that I was traveling with Tina in New York City and did not have access to my offline backups, server deployment notes, or anything else that could have helped. Anyway, the site's back up now and (I think) fully operational.

For those interested, here's the timeline as best as I can figure it out.

Saturday, Feb. 23 - Sometime close to midnight the primary hard drive crashed causing physical damage to parts of the disk. I was online working on Fanpop and unaware of this at the time.

Sunday, Feb. 24 - After five hours of sleep, I went to check on the updates I made to Fanpop and discovered that Fanpop could not verify the existence of Cooking For Engineers (it's on my profile). Logging into the CFE server, I discovered I could not do anything due to a series of I/O errors. A sinking feeling in my stomach told me it was a drive crash; at the same time, the alarm clock was telling me I was going to be late for my tour of the NBC Studios at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. I sent a quick e-mail to Surpass Hosting to ask them to find out what the issue was. Around noon Eastern time, I found myself on the phone about 800 ft above the ground overlooking Manhattan with Surpass on the line explaining that my drive had failed and they were trying to see if they could recover my data. My secondary drive system was fully intact, but since I never finished setting up the automated backup scripts, they were empty. (Every week, I would tell myself that I'd get to it this weekend, but it never happened.) The rest of the communication with Surpass occurred via e-mail on my telephone. I was informed that data recovery was unsuccessful and they were building a fresh drive for my system. I asked if they could ship the drive so it could go to a data recovery expert. (I didn't want to lose a couple months worth of comments - and, in addition, I didn't have any offline backups of the content on Orthogonal Thought.) They confirmed they could do that and I provided my address before going to bed.

Monday, Feb. 25 - I get up and check my e-mail to see if they shipped the drive. They had not. I had an e-mail asking me for my address - which I already provided. I provided it again and contacted DriveSavers in Novato, CA to discuss my options. When I checked e-mail again after returning to the hotel room that evening (after attending a taping of Late Nite with Conan O'Brien), I found another e-mail that said they were unable to ship the drive because I'd have to BUY it first for $90. Yes, yes, of course I'll pay the ransom! Just ship it! I wrote back telling them to do whatever was needed, just get the drive out the door.

Tuesday, Feb. 26 - Didn't receive a response from Surpass in the morning, but DriveSavers did call because they were concerned about the delay. I sent a few more e-mails to Surpass to make sure they shipped directly to DriveSavers via overnight. I finally received a message back saying they were waiting for a manager to come and authorize the shipment without having paid for the drive. Finally, while dragging my bags to the subway in the rain on the way to the airport to return to California, I received a call from Surpass apologizing for the delays and the clearly faulty protocol (which they say they've fixed). The drive was shipped overnight to DriveSavers and the tracking number provided.

Wednesday, Feb. 27 - DriveSavers confirmed that they received the drive and started working on it.

Thursday, Feb. 28 - DriveSavers successfully salvaged the data after taking the drive apart in a clean room and reading the electrical response in the regions around the data corruption and recreating the correct data. Amazing. They shipped it overnight to me. I spent Thursday night rebuilding the mail system and DNS for the servers.

Friday, Feb. 29 - I backed up the data provided by DriveSavers and confirmed that it was completely operational. Then I started the slow process of uploading all the photographs to the server and finally built the application and revived the database around 1:00am on Saturday, Feb. 30.

It has not been a fun week.
Dilbert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so visiting NYC is not recommended, eh?

mean week - but a good job done well!
Auspicious

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and the back-up scripts are now at the top of the task pile? <grin> I feel your pain. Thanks for all the work you do.

regards, dave
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auspicious wrote:
... and the back-up scripts are now at the top of the task pile? <grin>

I did them on Sunday night. Smile
gillespie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Messages from Michael All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: