Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you use white truffle salt and white truffle oil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pbone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: How do you use white truffle salt and white truffle oil? Reply with quote

I am somewhat familiar with how to use white truffle oil - on pasta or eggs - and I've had the giddy experience of fresh Italian white truffles, which I see so rarely I needn't discuss them at this point...but I was given a jar of white truffle salt for Christmas, and I am not sure how to best use it. Although it's wonderful just shaken on a piece of buttered toast. Does anyone know how to make a "crust" on a piece of meat? I had a rare lamb chop years ago at a french restaurant with a "white truffle crust" and the flavor of truffle really came through, but I have no idea how to achieve this, and I know that cooking can completely eradicate the truffle flavor. Certainly, one can destroy a fresh truffle by cooking it (I did this one time, to my utter horror); that's why you just shave a bit on top of things. What I'm looking for is suggestions of how to use truffle oil and truffle salt, and also how to achieve a truffle crust on a roasted meat.
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Use the truffle oil like you would a truffle Reply with quote

We've had good results treating the truffle oil just like you would a truffle. Instead of shaving a bit on, just sprinkle on a few drops to finish a dish after cooking -- we do this with a fish in parchment paper recipe we use, and I've stirred it into soups as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a few drops of white truffle oil in mashed potatoes.
pbone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, THAT's a new one...will definitely try that (mashed potatoes) Thanks!))) I've mostly put it on pasta or scrambled eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also try making your own Pomme Frittes (yes, french fries) and tossing them with some truffle oil. Amazing
pbone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the suggestion by guest to make french fries and drizzle w/ white truffle oil, I had that very dish in - where else?))) - Portland Ore. Outrageously delish, simply intoxicating. And on risotto - that is done in Northern Italy. Thanks to all, and I read all new suggestions w/email alert of activity.
akashtab

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I like to use a few drops of white truffle oil in mashed potatoes.

How about using them with squashed cheese.?
counter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't like truffle, but recently I tried it on pizza with cheese and chicory, and I love this pizza!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum