Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scotch Eggs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Scotch Eggs Reply with quote

Scotch eggs.

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled Eggs.
1 Beaten Egg.
1lb of Sausage Meat.
6 Slices of Stale bread.
1 Tablespoon of Oil, I have used Vegetable oil, but you could use Sunflower, Corn, Olive, etc.
Seasonings; I have used Freshly milled dried Garlic and Chili with Black pepper for the sausage meat, and Ground white Pepper, and Sea Salt with Seaweed for the breadcrumbs.

Measure out the sausage meat and stir the seasoning in well. Stand in the fridge over night.

[img][/img]

Break up the slices of stale bread, and zap with a blender.

[img][/img]

Stir the milled Sea salt and Seaweed, and the ground white pepper into the breadcrumbs.

[img][/img]

Knead the sausage meat with clean hands to remove any trapped air, separate into 6 balls, rolling and squeezing them in the hands until the surface is smooth.

Cover a chopping board in cling film, and then "throw" one of the sausage meat balls at the board, as a potter would throw clay on to the wheel. Cover with another layer of cling film, then roll out with a rolling pin.

[img][/img]

When you have the sausage meat rolled out evenly, roll it on to a hard boiled egg. And then work it in the hands rolling and squeezing until you have a smooth even surface.

[img][/img]

Roll your cannonballs of sausage meat and egg in the breadcrumbs.

[img][/img]

When you have them all covered in Breadcrumbs, place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

[img][/img]

Beat an Egg with a teaspoonful of oil and a little Salt & Pepper. Roll the covered eggs in the beaten egg, and then in the breadcrumbs.

[img][/img]

Place on a baking tray and bake in a medium oven for 45-60 minutes

[img][/img]

Remove from the oven, and allow to cool before eating. I have just had a warm Scotch egg with bread and butter, celery, and mature chedder cheese for supper .... .... .... .... Delicious!

[img][/img]

This is one that you have really got try. I will never go back to factory made Scotch Eggs again

Last edited by Gareth on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth,

Your posts are amazing!

Michael
Gareth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to blow my own trumpet here.

One of my friends came over for supper last night, and I prepared and served two home-made Scotch eggs, halved and baked in a Cauliflower Cheese Plus.

So simple to prepare, so delicious to eat.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1338&highlight=
kgb1001001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Deep fried? Reply with quote

Very nice Gareth. The one time I've had scotch eggs I would have sworn that they were deep-fried. Have you tried them that way? I'm sure baking is probably better for you, but then again, given the constituents, it's probably not much of a difference. Smile

Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to them fried too. I would have thought that long in a hot oven would dry them out somewhat. Have made a vegetarian alternative (with egg, but veg sausage meat), turned out very well indeed.
Gareth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can deep fry them, and I assume that is how Scotch Eggs are commercially made.

The original recipe that my friend sent to me, called for the Scotch Eggs to be cooked under the grill. The grill on my cooker is not the most efficient in the world, and I do not have a deep fat fryer, so oven bake was my only realistic option. No doubt, the double roll in breadcrumbs, and the oil that I beat into the egg did a sufficient job. When baked I had a crispy, crunchy outer layer, with a moist meat layer underneath.

What you see in the above photos are my very first, and so far only attempt at making Scotch eggs. However, they came out so well, that they will now feature regularly on my home menu.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics....I made scotch eggs about a year ago and have completely forgotten about them....now I want to have some again......
Kathrine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Scotch Eggs Reply with quote

Gareth, I loved the photos and had to show my husband, who is the engineer. I noticed that you did not specify an oven temp. A medium oven is the sort of instruction that drives hubby mad and discourages him from cooking. Could you be specific?
Thanks
danicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I love it. Very mouth watery. When I first saw your pics I admire the way you do it. Look like a meatballs with egg in the inside. Thanks for the post.
Auspicious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scotch Eggs Reply with quote

Kathrine wrote:
I noticed that you did not specify an oven temp. A medium oven is the sort of instruction that drives hubby mad and discourages him from cooking.

My experience in the UK is that oven temperature controls are generally like US stove-tops (lo, med-lo, med, med-hi, hi) or have gas numbers (1-6). I'd try around 350 deg F and adjust from there with experience.
Gareth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small up date:

When Lois and I make spicy sour dough crackers, we always put some pieces by to make bread crumbs with. Having an eclectic mix of chillies, Garlic, peppers, and a whole host of other Herbs and Spicies, I believe that Lois & I make the best bread crumbs in the world, which also make the best Scotch Eggs in the world. Big smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Recipes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum