Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

low sugar snacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetpea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: low sugar snacks Reply with quote

Is anybody else here on a diet? I have been trying to cut out most processed sugars from my diet. But its hard to stop eating sweets all together. So I got some of those sugar-free jell-o cups and some diet sodas. Those always hit the spot. But Im wondering if you guys have any ideas? What kinds of snacks do you guys like?
MeganAmyH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try dried fruits? A lot of them are findable in non-sugar added varieties.

My main staple on this diet has been chocolate. Not a lot, mind you, just a small handful of good quality chocolate chips. A small single handful, adminstered daily, has really been the sanity saver. Smile
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: low sugar snacks Reply with quote

sweetpea wrote:
Is anybody else here on a diet? I have been trying to cut out most processed sugars from my diet. But its hard to stop eating sweets all together. So I got some of those sugar-free jell-o cups and some diet sodas. Those always hit the spot. But Im wondering if you guys have any ideas? What kinds of snacks do you guys like?

I'm not GaryProtein for nothing. Processed sugars are no worse for you than "unprocessed" sugars. Raw honey isn't any better than white processed table sugar, it just gets better hype and a higher price from health food stores. Fruits are candy that grows on a tree. Dried fruit is a terrible diet snack. They are dense little pieces of almost 100% carbohydrate with no dietary or metabolic staying power. If you must have fruit, have the real fruit. At least that has the water of the fruit in it so you will have a feeling of fullness after you eat it. Speaking of water in fruit, many times when you want to eat, what your body really wants, but you don't recognize it properly, is water, not more food. Stay hydrated and you will feel fuller and less hungry. Have some vegetables or protein for a much better snack. Sweets are easy to eliminate once you put your mind to it and become accustomed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: low sugar snacks Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
Processed sugars are no worse for you than "unprocessed" sugars.
Somewhat of an oversimplification...

Your body needs to utilise insulin to metabolise glucose (and hence also sucrose) but it does not require it to metabolise fructose. This is why the glycemic index of glucose is 100, that of table sugar is 90 but the GI of fructose is only 20. This means getting your sweetness-fix from fruit is better than using candy. Also, fructose is gram-for-gram sweeter so you need less of it.

GaryProtein is right about the water, though. Dried fruit is very high in calories per gram so you can wreck your diet with just a handful of raisins!

Have you tried dried fruit compote made with apple juice rather than water & sugar (i.e. syrup)? It comes out very sweet, so you don't need a huge amount. I make mine in a slow-cooker/crockpot:
750g dried fruit (apple rings, apricots, prunes etc.) + 1 ltr apple juice + a cinnamon stick
Leave to soak overnight (watch out: the apple & cinnamon float & need to be submerged somehow)
In the morning turn on the crockpot (on low) and when you come home in the evening you have lots of compote.
Freeze in small portions & use as desserts or snacks.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on a diet, eat vegetables, not fruit. Vegetables are composed of complex carbohydrates, not simple sugars and they are harder for the body to metabolize, meaning it takes longer than sugar and is less readily converted into fat and your body will more readily make use of its existing fat for fuel than foods you eat that it has to digest first. The glycemic index tells what happens to your blood sugar, but any type of sugar in your diet (or alcohol for that matter, which is metabolized as sugar, and at 7 kcal per gram) will ruin a weight reducing diet.

Oh, yeah, I don't know how the "Carb" unit got started, but it is a total joke and a fraud. Count REAL grams of REAL carbohydrates, not "carbs" which is a unit food manufacturers have dreamed up to make people think they are eating less carbohydrates than they really are. The fact that many people talk about "carbs" when they really mean carbohydrates, has made it easier for food manufacturers to perpetuate this fraud.

carbohydrate 3.8 kcal/gram
protein 4 kcal/gram
alcohol 7 kcal/gram
fat 9 kcal/gram

The bottom line is, if you want to lose weight rapidly and have a nutritous diet while you do it, eat non-starchy vegetables, fish and poultry. It is also important to stay well hydrated-that also helps you feel full. It doesn't matter what you drink as long as it doesn't have calories.
www.powertolife.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried drinking natural fruit drinks (like home made smoothies)as a substitute for processed sugars? They contain natural sugars from fruits, and a great energy boost.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.powertolife.com wrote:
Have you tried drinking natural fruit drinks (like home made smoothies)as a substitute for processed sugars? They contain natural sugars from fruits, and a great energy boost.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO SUGAR OF ANY KIND. So called natural sugar is just as bad as, what do you want to call it, "unnatural" processed sugar.

Like I have said before, fruits are just candy that grows on a tree. Vegetables are what you want on a diet, not fruit.
eltonyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
If you are on a diet, eat vegetables, not fruit. Vegetables are composed of complex carbohydrates, not simple sugars and they are harder for the body to metabolize, meaning it takes longer than sugar and is less readily converted into fat and your body will more readily make use of its existing fat for fuel than foods you eat that it has to digest first. The glycemic index tells what happens to your blood sugar, but any type of sugar in your diet (or alcohol for that matter, which is metabolized as sugar, and at 7 kcal per gram) will ruin a weight reducing diet.

Oh, yeah, I don't know how the "Carb" unit got started, but it is a total joke and a fraud. Count REAL grams of REAL carbohydrates, not "carbs" which is a unit food manufacturers have dreamed up to make people think they are eating less carbohydrates than they really are. The fact that many people talk about "carbs" when they really mean carbohydrates, has made it easier for food manufacturers to perpetuate this fraud.

carbohydrate 3.8 kcal/gram
protein 4 kcal/gram
alcohol 7 kcal/gram
fat 9 kcal/gram

The bottom line is, if you want to lose weight rapidly and have a nutritous diet while you do it, eat non-starchy vegetables, fish and poultry. It is also important to stay well hydrated-that also helps you feel full. It doesn't matter what you drink as long as it doesn't have calories.

I totally agree with Gary P.

The term "carbs" should (could) be divided into many more useful catgories, from a physiological point of view, not to mention, the glycemic index category.

And not to mention good ol'fiber.... all "carb" related, but sold under one mis-leading head line.

To make matters simple.... if you want good "carbs?".... think dark green, or extremely "chewy"... both have their advantages, from different perspectives!.

Better yet.... go to your local IKEA store (hint: swedes trust IKEA more than churches...." latest headlines in the news "):

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,450254,00.html

.... and order the poached salmon with broccoli (their central resturant is as good as their furniture) .... and you get the best of all worlds... high protein, no refined simple sugars, high omega-3's, fiber, vitamins, nutrients, low cal, low fat, ... and it taste better than sh*t!

who wouda "thunk" IKEA would save the world with cheap furniture and healthy food! Smile .... (luv their style!)

and since i'm a "stupid" swede (who knows sh*t from shinola)... i might as well add.... it's okay to eat your occasional fruits, in season, especially cranberries, blueberries, and ligonberries (high anti-oxidates)with your "swedish" meatballs or turkey... or occasional swedish style pancakes!!!! Smile (but ONLY "swedish" style!!!)

cuz "damn".... God put em there for the occasional blessing... but only Swedish style!!!! :Smile))

p.s. In the name of the Swedish Chef on the Muppets show.... all I can add is "bork, bork, bork".... and in the name of Forrest Gump.... "that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that!"

And yes... I LOVE SNOW, being the Scandinavien bastard that i am!!!!!! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried so many diets until now and nothing really worked wonders on me. I stopped eating after 6 pm and I cut out some of the sweets. Of course, I don't eat bread anymore but otherwise I eat anything else I want. I got myself a hobby and started by cleaning all appliance parts in my house, washing the car more than usual, cleaning the closets when I feel I want something sweet. I lost a few pounds already.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly all carbohydrates (though not cellulose) are turned to glucose, even table sugar (a bonded glucose-fructose disaccharide) and fructose. And there are sugars in vegetables, especially white potatoes and carrots (have a look on the GI). What you want on a diet is excersize, and slow release carbohydrates eaten with fats and proteins.

Look at a diabetic's diet sheet, they are what to aim for.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to quit eating sweets but I sometimes weak up in the middle of the night, run to the fridge and eat all the chocolate I can find. I even tried not buying chocolate but I always do thinking my kids will eat it.
---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> General Food Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum