Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test Recipes: Faux BBQ Beef Ribs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossifer Mancuso

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Dino bones Reply with quote

This is an excellent recipe! I had one slab (9 bones) of very meaty ribs, and the cooking times as posted were perfect - so I'd guess the recipe is not sensitive to how much meat is on the bones, just sensitive to how long it takes to tenderize whatever meat's there.

Instead of apple juice, I used a generic cola, and after the two foil-wrapped hours, I basted the meat side of the dino bones with my favorite BBQ sauce, and let them bake uncovered an additional 30 minutes - and basted them again when I took them out. They were right at the point where, had I let them go much longer, they'd have wanted to shred under the knife.

Before cooking I treated them to a little (oh the horror!) liquid smoke before using the rub as described in the recipe. And the rub described in the recipe is a fine one, it gives the finished ribs the sense of "BBQ ribs" as opposed to "pot roast", which is important in this context.

Thanks for the recipe - it was pouring down rain outside, and this was just the thing.
jen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: beef ribs Reply with quote

i have boneless beef ribs and i am looking for the best way to cook them so that they are tender and of course taste great!
Michaelskis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: boneless beef ribs Reply with quote

Hi Jen,
We are having a "meet the in-laws" dinner this weekend and I am serving boneless beef ribs. I purchased 10 lbs. of ribs at Costco and each night this week I tried different ways to cook the ribs. So far, the best has been at 200 degrees for 3 hours in the oven. Its winter here so the BBQ is out.
I started with a rub of equal parts salt, pepper, paprika and sugar and added some cayanne to give it a little kick. The pepper is pretty strong and so is the paprika, so I will be scaling them back a bit.
After the rub is applied I wrapped the ribs in foil (3 or 4 per bundle) with 2 or 3 tablespoons of red wine and some garlic. I then placed them in a roaster pan. After 3 hours I removed the foil wrapped ribs and drained off the liquid into the roaster and set the ribs aside.
With the liquid in the roaster I added a bag of small pealed carrots, a couple bags of pearl onions and a couple cans of tiny canned potatoes. I added 1 can of broth, a little more wine , and more garlic then returned the roaster to the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
I removed the roaster full of veggies from the oven and poured in enough BBQ sauce to cover the ribs. I put the ribs in the roaster and spooned some sauce over the ribs. The temp was lowered to 350 and cooked for 30 more minutes. This seasons the ribs and also thickens the sauce to a nice rich covering. If you want a little more color turn the broiler on and carefully watch the browning process as the sugars turn. The ribs are tasty and tender, and the veggies are fantastic! Enjoy
tobias

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beef back ribs are not like other beef ribs
they are the "prime ribs"
the meat on them is not tough , its prime rib
all these slow cook recipies will kill prime rib
these need to be cooked fast and hot and served rare
not the same as short ribs at all

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Loved It... Again Reply with quote

I want to add one more thing to my previous comment. I fixed ribs using this basic technique again. And, by the way, I've been cooking baby back ribs here, not beef ribs. This time, though, I cooked 25 baby back slabs for a party. Instead of using a pan, I used double (loosely) wrapped, heavy-duty, alluminium foil. I used it to create sort of a mummy bag for each slab. Also, instead of using the original rub, I just bought some Gates rub and used that - and let it work overnight in the fridge. You can fit more in the oven at a time if you don't have to fit them into a pan. Two more cool things about the alluminium foil container: 1. you can arrange for a spout on the end to pour the apple juice into and then seal up tight - and when they're done, you can unfold the spout again to empty out the remaining apple juice; 2. the limited space within the ribs alluminium foil mummy bag allows all the surfaces of the meat to be in contact with the apple juice - this allows you to stretch the apple juice further (a consideration when you're cooking 25 slabs...). Once again, after cooking I seared the outsides on a charcoal grill and coated them with sauce.

They came out really great. Some of the people at the party (again... Kansas City area rib eaters) said that they were the best ribs they had ever eaten and asked me how I did it. It's not the same as smoked ribs - it's a little different, but it's very good and, I think, a totally workable alternative. In my opinion, finishing them over a very hot charcoal fire after first cooking them in the oven is crucial.
Paul79UF

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: first try at faux bbq pork ribs in a pressure cooker Reply with quote

I just bought a Fagor pressure cooker pot a few days ago and made some "Faux BBQ" pork loin spare ribs in it.

It only took 15 minutes to cook them in the pot. Then for a faux bbq crispy crust, I brushed on barbecue sauce and put them in the oven on broil for 5 minutes on each side.

They were very tasty, especially considering it was my first time using a pressure cooker.

I took some pictures of the process and put them on this page.
Pressure Cooker Faux BBQ Pork Loin Spare Ribs Recipe
VoxPopuli

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Braising (boiling) is just FINE Reply with quote

The only reason I can see for glibly discounting braising as a legitimate way to do ribs is because a person hasn't done it, or hasn't done it right.

Boiling doesn't "boil away the flavor" unless you just plop your ribs in plain boiling water. Not the way to do it. You plop your ribs into a simmering, heavenly liquid which does 2 things: tenderizes and marinates at the same time. Eliminate the fridge!

Use beef and/or chicken stock, mire poix (celery, carrots, onions), herbs, spices and wine or your own concoction (I've used OJ, coffee and beer different times).

I've boiled pork ribs in a succulent and very spicy-hot liquid, then smoked/grilled them for another 1/2 hour, basting with sauce for phenomenal tasting ribs!

And I've braised (half-cover in water and turn once in a while, so the outside caramelizes) beef short ribs many times for 4 hours, in a beef-stock based liquid for a grown-man-crying good meal!

Don't dismiss braising/boiling.
tobias

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these cats are deriding par boiling . not the same as braising

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how you do the pressure cooker with real smoke.

First, smoke the ribs in a smoker for an hour. Use wood chunks, not chips.

Next, remove the ribs and place in a pressure cooker. It is best to use a grate on the botton of the pressure cooker, to elevate the ribs from touching the water and/or getting charred to the bottom of the cooker. Cook for 30 minutes under pressure.

Turn off heat, allow the pressure cooker to release steam naturally. Allow ribs to relax inside there for some time, to reabsorb moisture and soften up. Perhaps 15 minutes.

Ready to eat.
sanneb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Made this tonight Reply with quote Delete this post

I ended up altering the recipe slightly:
I only had 4 short beef ribs (about 6in long before cooking, but very meaty)

1 TB italian seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika powder (sweet)
1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
few good grinds of white pepper
1-2 teaspoons of Himalayan salt (the pink stuff)

Did as a dry rub.

The liquid I used was Canada dry gingerale.

Then because I wasn't sure what time I'd be home, I did a 280degree oven. Came home 4hrs later and the meat slid right off the bones and was delicious! With that long of a cook time, there was a lot of shrinkage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: