Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knife Sharpners (Stone & Steal) & Cutting Boards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPTMSTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Knife Sharpners (Stone & Steal) & Cutting Boards Reply with quote

First of all I just wanted to say that this has been a very helpfull and informative forum/website I've come across and thank you ALL for your mature & helpfull discussions.
This website/forum has helped me select a good knife, (which I will head down to the closest store for a grip test of Global 8") and others as well. However, I could not find information on how to pick out a good stone and steal sharpner at a reasonable price to leave me enough to also buy a cutting board of course with the chef Michael recommendation.
Thanks in advance
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what knife you bought but if it is Japanese the answer is simple - learn to free hand sharpen.

Cutting boards:
Pretty: Get an END GRAIN wood board. Period.
Not pretty but even better for your blades: Get a Sani-Tuff rubber board. I chop, pound, and slice my delicate Japanese knives on this board and have yet to chip an edge.

My wife gets the walnut, I use the Sani-Tuff. This is a no brainer once you try them all out.

Buzz
OPTMSTK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Knife Sharpners Reply with quote

Hey Buzz,
Thank you for your reply...I have decided to go for the a 3pc set of Global: a 7"santoku, a 5 1/4" utility knife and a 3 1/2" pari...now you mentioned "free hand" sharpen, do you mean a Whetstone or a the steel?...or do I need both? also would you recommend; a Ceramic or Diamond Rod?
As I was reading many forums, I've come across the idea of having your knives Professionaly sharppened once in a while by a professional and just yourself fine tune it in between with either a whetstone or a steel? what's your opinion on that?
Thank you in advance,
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Knife Sharpners Reply with quote

OPTMSTK wrote:
Hey Buzz,
Thank you for your reply...I have decided to go for the a 3pc set of Global: a 7"santoku, a 5 1/4" utility knife and a 3 1/2" pari...now you mentioned "free hand" sharpen, do you mean a Whetstone or a the steel?...or do I need both? also would you recommend; a Ceramic or Diamond Rod?
As I was reading many forums, I've come across the idea of having your knives Professionaly sharppened once in a while by a professional and just yourself fine tune it in between with either a whetstone or a steel? what's your opinion on that?
Thank you in advance,
Frank

Okay, Frank, here goes. First of all, I'm not a member of this forum because I'm not an engineer and feel slightly out of place. Well, I was a flight engineer on 727's for a few years while working my way up to 767 international captain but I guess that's the wrong kind of engineer. LOL

I stumbled on this site several months ago due to a google search for something. I found a bright group of people who, when it comes to knives, ask intelligent questions as opposed to the droning posts about Racheal Ray Furi knives and other such crap as found on various other cooking sites.

You've decided on globals. Don't rush. I know there is *some* good info to be found here but I suggest you go to knifeforums in the "in the kitchen" section. Join. Start a thread and tell them you are interested in Japanese knives. Tell them what kind of cooking you do and approximately the types of knives you think you need. Give them a price level. If you don't mind carbon steel care, leave that door open as most of the best knives are in fact carbon, at least the cuttin edge. I'm buzzard767 over there and, trust me, you'll get answers to any questions that come up. As I said, don't rush. Globals are not the end all. I don't own any, and wouldn't.

Stones, what I use:
DMT diasharp XXC diamond stone for rebeveling blades and flattening waterstones. Norton flattening stone, 220, 1000, 4000, 8000 grit water stones. Naniwa 10,000 grit water stone. I go far beyond this with many mediums including liquid based .5 micron chromium oxide on paper on glass for stopping.... you'll learn if you have the time and the inclination.

As far as steels are concerned, NEVER use a grooved steel such as those that come with knife sets and are so touted by TV star chefs in their rediculous slashing manuevers. It's all for show, and it rips a good edge to shreds. Toss 'em in the garbage or recycling bin. There is a place for ceramic steels if used gingerly, another topic. The steels that should be used are glass smooth or borosilicate. Glass smooth means exactly what it says. They do nothing more than realign an edge that gets pushed to the side. Once realigned, the edge is 90 plus % as good as new. You can do this several times before the blade finally does not meet your standards for cutting ability. At that point the knife needs to be resharpened and the cycle begins anew.

As to professional sharpening, I recommend it if you don't want to drop a few hundred on stones. I can recommend a man whom I feel is the best in the U.S. if you like. For a few bucks plus shipping he will put an edge on your knives that, frankly, you will never be able to do yourself. After that, SMOOTH steel your knives until they need to be returned to the pro. With high quality blades and home cooking as opposed to daily professional chef use the edge should last a year or two before you need to send it in.

Hope this helps.

Buzz - oh, my son-in-law is an EE at Lockheed Martin. Does that count?
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Knife Sharpners Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Okay, Frank, here goes. First of all, I'm not a member of this forum because I'm not an engineer and feel slightly out of place. Well, I was a flight engineer on 727's for a few years while working my way up to 767 international captain but I guess that's the wrong kind of engineer. LOL

Hey, you don't have to be an engineer to be a registered card carrying member here. There are many non-engineers here. I'm not an engineer, but I appreciate the way they think scientifically and logically, and I'm sure there are plenty of other people who contribute here who feel the same and enjoy the give and take of information here. So, sign up. You don't have to submit a resume. Smile
buzzard767

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Knife Sharpners Reply with quote

GaryProtein wrote:
So, sign up. You don't have to submit a resume. Smile

Done!
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night on the Discovery Channel, the program Some Assembly Required, they showed the fabrication of a high carbon steel sashimi knife from a block of steel to its first use.

They showed a Japanese craftsman heating and forging the bar of steel into the shape of the knife from the furnace to anvil, followed by tempering the blade, sharpening on what appeared to be a 3-4" wide, 24-30" diameter rotating stone, then hand sharpening, followed by connection to its handle, polishing and the craftsman signing the blade. Its first use was in a sashimi restaurant. They showed how after every single cut, you had to dry the blade or else it would pit and rust. The end of the show was kind of funny, because the American from the Discovery channel who narrated and described what the knife maker was doing was using the brand new knife for the first time in a Japanese restaurant. He had been given a piece of fish that was so freshly killed, that it was still moving while he tried to slice it! They guy couldn't take it and said he wanted to use the knife to cut a completely dead piece of fish!. The knife was a work of art.

Last edited by GaryProtein on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
buzzard767

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard good things about this program on another forum. Apparently the episode is scheduled to run again on Feb. 23 at 8:00p.m. Eastern
OPTMSTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Knife Sharpners Reply with quote

Hi Buzz,
Once again thanks for the info...well, as I'm getting ready to throw my Super Bowl party, I needed to get my knives and start the preparation early, so before reading your last email, I got my Global knives-7"santoku, a 5 1/4" utility knife and a 3 1/2" paring knife-which just last night put them into use and they seem alright...did a pretty good job...very light, and comfortable grib...also, to your advice, got the Sani-Tuff Rubber board, which I'm satisfied with...got grib on the food, and very easy to wash & clean...and the look is not that after all once on my counter!!!
As for the sharpners, thanks for the headsup on the steel...I will definitely go for the med-grind stone & I will take that information on that man that you mentioned that sharpens professionaly.
Thank you,
Frank,
ps. take a look at my website, and if you see anything you like for yourself or anybody else, let me know and I will gladly give you a special discount.
buzzard767

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, the Japanese pro knife sharpener is Dave Martell. He has done wonderful work for me including transforming a broken Frank J. Richtig kitchen knife into a first class paring knife with a man sized handle. What he does is to utilize the Japanese knives original geometry and sharpen at those angles. The edges he creates are stunning. Find him at http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your Globals. I've read many great reports on them, but they just aren't for me.

You have some very nice products on your site.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, you turn up yet again, Buzzard767! Big smile You certainly get around. Spreading the Gospel of the Japanese Knife I assume! Smile

-Phaedrus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzard767 wrote:
Frank, the Japanese pro knife sharpener is Dave Martell. He has done wonderful work for me including transforming a broken Frank J. Richtig kitchen knife into a first class paring knife with a man sized handle. What he does is to utilize the Japanese knives original geometry and sharpen at those angles. The edges he creates are stunning. Find him at http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your Globals. I've read many great reports on them, but they just aren't for me.

You have some very nice products on your site.

BTW, Dave Martell is a freakin' genius. No matter how good you think you are at sharpening, he is your better! Teasing Buy his videos- just the section on the care & selection of waterstones is worth the $45.

-Phaedrus
ERdept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, this is my first post.

I like the Japanese chef's knives. Hattori, Kumagoro, Takeda. They use steels that are prone to rust if you don't care for them, but in return, I get a knife that is EXTREMELY sharp and last for a long time before requiring a touch-up on the blade.

Aogami Supersteel, especially. I think Rockwell around 62.

I used to take my knives in to sharpen professionally, with the steel/ceramic reguarly.

But now I just do it myself with something called the EdgePro Apex. This sharpener is quite expensive, but is easy to use, and makes and edge more consistently and easily than hand sharpening. The main benefit is that it maintains the edge to stone angle consistently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum