Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bubble & Squeak!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Bubble & Squeak! Reply with quote

In the UK it's the culture for many of us traditionalists to hold great store by our family Sunday dinners.

We love our roast meats with roast potatoes, a good selection of vegetables, meaty gravy & the ubiquitous & much loved Yorkshire puddings.

It's nothing fancy - just good, plain honest home cooking where the family can gather to be together, chat & enjoy a good feed.

A unique by-product of the leftovers for Mondays is 'bubble & squeak' Traditionally it's the reserved potatoes (roast and/or boiled), mushed together with cooked cabbage and/or shredded sprouts that is pan fried in beef dripping til heated through & crisp & golden.

It's served piping hot with the leftover cold roast meat together with a selection of condiments. There could be chutneys & relishes, or pickled onions, cabbage or beetroot, many of which would be home-preserved.
It's a firm favourite of many the day after Christmas (our Boxing Day) with leftover turkey & ham.

Just in case anyone wonders why the name 'bubble & squeak' it's the sound it makes when frying in the pan, the potatoes 'bubble' & the cabbage 'squeaks'

Does stateside still do the weekend family roast?
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I had never heard anyone other than my wife and her family talk about bubble and squeak. since we have moved to the states, we have this about once a month or so. with just two of us, there aren't that many left over to make bubble and squeak, but it is mighty tasty!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you're not British & your wife is? We Brits cook extra potatoes & greens just so we get to make it. And it's extra good if you let the mix 'catch' a bit in the pan so there's some extra crispy bits.
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'm guessing you're not British & your wife is? We Brits cook extra potatoes & greens just so we get to make it. And it's extra good if you let the mix 'catch' a bit in the pan so there's some extra crispy bits.

Yeah....my wife is from Torquay, then Cambridge...I met her when I lived in Cambridge for a few years.....I love bubble and squeek, but not nearly as much as I love yorkshires.....mmmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love bubble and squeek, but not nearly as much as I love yorkshires.....mmmmmmm.....

You're a very lucky man, I'm a Yorkshire lass meself! so don't get me started on the proper way to make a Yorkshire Pudding Laughing Out Loud

I do hope you & your wife are spreading the word in the US on the glory of our famous Y/P. My son had quite a few converts when he lived in NYC, but since moving to LA - the full Sunday roast isn't exactly pushing anybody's buttons! IMO it's comfort food at it's best.

Does your wife cook you a Lancashire hotpot with red cabbage, steak & kidney pie, battered fish'n'chips & mushy peas, sausage'n'mash with onion gravy? If not - you should be asking why not Big smile
gfairbairn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
I love bubble and squeek, but not nearly as much as I love yorkshires.....mmmmmmm.....

You're a very lucky man, I'm a Yorkshire lass meself! so don't get me started on the proper way to make a Yorkshire Pudding Laughing Out Loud

I do hope you & your wife are spreading the word in the US on the glory of our famous Y/P. My son had quite a few converts when he lived in NYC, but since moving to LA - the full Sunday roast isn't exactly pushing anybody's buttons! IMO it's comfort food at it's best.

Does your wife cook you a Lancashire hotpot with red cabbage, steak & kidney pie, battered fish'n'chips & mushy peas, sausage'n'mash with onion gravy? If not - you should be asking why not Big smile

She has cooked steak and kidney pie, I actually usually make the yorkshires and the fish and chips...go figure, somewhere along the way here yank husband became really good at making yorkshires....I can post you a recipe if you like...they are WAY easier than you might think.
Pie_Designs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Bubble and Squeak - haven't had that in years!

As a kid here in South Africa, we also did those big, homely Sunday lunches with bubble and squeak to follow on a Monday!

Delicious!

Never made it myself, but this has spurred me on!

Yorkshire Pudding is another favourite, but a rarity here.

I'd love it if someone can post a recipe - I've always been told it's a bit of a mission to make!

Let's me see for myself!
claire909

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like Yorkshire very much it is one of my favorite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Favorite Foods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum