Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prime rib for Christmas --- Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJAK17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Prime rib for Christmas --- Help Reply with quote

I have done some research on the internet but I am looking at some ideas for Christmas dinner.

I plan on serving prime rib for 11-13 people. How much do I need? Also I am a little nervous to screw up that much meat (that is a lot of $$$$$). I am planning on using a Nesco roaster oven. Has anyone used one and how did it work? Or should i just use the oven? I havenever done prime rib before. I have been to friends house that does the "pre-cooked" prime rib does anybody have any feedback on that? Any help and/or ideas would be great. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be a pig, so I plan on about a pound per person. Big smile

Use a REAL oven. Do the 200-225 degree method described in this thread, then let it rest under foil for half an hour when your thermometer hits about 120 degrees. The internal temp will continue to rise, then put it back into a 500 degree oven for 10-15 minutes to get a crust. Inside will be medium rare. I'll wish I was there!
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a mixed group of guests (men and women who eat varying amounts) and you are providing accompanying dishes (like cream spinach, potatoes, a soup course, etc.) then 2 pounds for every 3 people should be ample. I just did a dinner where I served 31 with a 15 pound rolled rib roast (boneless) but I also provided chowder, corn, salad, potatoes, bread, and cake.

The prime rib thread is here:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/38/Prime-Rib-or-Standing-Rib-Roast
AdmNaismith not signed in

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let your roast sit uncovered in the fridge for 2-4 days.
Let it sit on the counter for a while to take the chill off of it.

Brush it liberally with yellow mustard, then roll it in rock salt. You can do the ends first, then work the different flat and curved sides. It's a bit messy, just use a cookie sheet to keep the salt in one place.

Roast in a 350deg oven until a meat thermometer stuck in the middle says RARE.
Let sit 15-20 min. Scrape off the salt and any thick layers of fat, then carve as you like. Perfection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum