Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nigh-Invincible Dinnerware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Nigh-Invincible Dinnerware Reply with quote

Okay, we're now suffering from loss in our ranks, the Village Phaltzgraff dishes that I got from my Grandmother's estate are dying. The earthenware was awsome in the day, you could sit in the oven all day etc, sturdy heavy and well made. But it just hasn't done so well around the microwave, and a super hot sanitary setting on the dishwasher........it still works, but all the pieces are crazed. They've fought bravely but we lose one here, one there.....it's a shame, because I think my Grandmother collected every thing that was ever made for that pattern, some of the dishes i still am unsure of what they are for.

So I am in the market for dishes again, and I can't simply be one of those who goes out and shops by pattern. I want to shop by construction and durability.....so who can edumacate me on the best brands in dinnerware.

It must be able to take microwaves endlessly, and temps in a dishwasher just short of a blow torch. Without any crazing.

I prefer the weight of earthenware, and wonder if any stoneware will fit the bill.

Brands names? Who makes incredibly durable dinnerware.

Oh and if it's affordable, and comes in white and blue that'd be nice too.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel about old family china.

In addition to looking for patterns and durability, look for the architectural shape of the plate. There are plates with wide rims like top hats, that keep your food in a small center section of the plate and the rim is flat, allowing gravies to spill over the side. I like a plate whose shape is more bowl-like. Not that it has to be deep at all, but the rim should be NARROW along the circumference and well raised along the edge of the plate. This gives you a large area to place food and the rim prevents gravy from spilling over the edge. One more thing, the plates and bowls should nest very well. I have seen patterns where four stacked soup or cereal bowls take up ten inches of height--ridiculous. Who has room to actually store are large setting when that happens?

The prime examples of well formed plates and bowls are those designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for some Japanese emperor or hotel or something, I forget, but you can see it at the Museum at Taliesin West. They look just like the shape of the (cough) Corelle settings. While the patterns are mundane, Corelle, is pretty indestructible.

For blue and white, you may want to consider the Wedgwood china. Denby has some well shaped plates and bowls also.
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedgewood is more then a little outside my budget.

I don't need fancy, just durable, no crazing hold up to microwave and dishwasher on any settings, and preferably with some weight.....

Utilitarian, and withing a reasonable price point for everyday use......

What do you think about Corelle? Esp. Corelle "Ultra".
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corning no longer owns Corelle. After the Borden company purchased it, they had to give up the use of the Corning name.

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageID=230&folderID=5

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageID=230&folderID=85

I grew up eating on Corelle--the pure white "pattern," which went with my mother's kitchen decor. I think their patterns in recent years have improved tremendously and many on these websites are pretty. I noticed they have a link for store locators on the shopping site.

In my experience, it is strong, relatively light weight and the new patterns I saw on the internet are pretty, and they will stand up to just about everything except being thrown onto a granite countertop or stone floor. They seemed to have survived many moderate tumbles onto the counter, though. I like the architectural shape of the vessels-plates and bowls. Everything except the tea cups nest very well and stack efficiently. It can go in the freezer, oven, microwave (except for a few specific articles--check your pattern for which ones) dishwasher, and you can wrap left-overs on the plate with saran wrap/glad/polyethylene wrap and it will adhere because it is glazed, unlike my Denby, which has a eggshell surface around the rim and plastic wrap does not adhere, which is a real pain in the butt. Check it out and let me know what you think.
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like Corelle for most of my dishware needs. Tina has a tendency to break things made of glass or ceramic, so she loves the Corelle. It stacks well, is strong, and looks okay. It is pretty boring especially since I gravitate toward white and simple plate shapes (mainly so I can buy more if needed without wondering if the pattern will be available in the future). Like Gary says, they stack really well as well saving a lot of space in my cupboard.
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nigh-Invincible Dinnerware Reply with quote

I have your answer. This set of dinnerware is exceptionally durable, just as you specified. The construction/design is elegant, simple and will surely last more than a lifetime. I bought 6 plates, 6 soup bowls 5 years ago and they look new. A family of 4, 3 of which were home 24/7 used them these last 5 years with dishwashings every 2 days. I have large meat-hook hands and these suckers have weight and mass, loverly.

All that for 64 bux? You'd be insane not to buy it immediately.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/dnw/dnwi/dnwbasi/index.cfm

xo, Biggles
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW amazing find!
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm Now I really am torn....those look like what i was looking for originally perhaps.....

But I found these....

http://www.corelle.com/index.asp?pageId=51&pid=360

These are the Corelle Ultra line...which is made like traditional Corelle except instead of two layers it's like 5 they're 70% thicker then regular corelle that most people are used to, and corelle has a 3 yr warrenty but corelle ultra has a 5 year chip or break free warrenty......the thing is they're also about 65 bucks.........I kinda like the square pattern, and it has like seashell ridges in corners.....

I haven't made up my mind yet, the link you posted though has really nice extra large chili bowls........and if nothing else I think I'm gonna get those. Good weighted, large bowls that retain some heat are hard to come by.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Corelle Ultra is also seen on this

http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageID=230&folderID=85

I had no idea they had hefty weight Corelle these days.

If you get them, please give us a full report.
YoKitty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach to consider is buying dishes from a restaurant supply company.
SgtNickFury

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think I'm going to try out the Corelle Ultra Scandia abuse it and see how it goes. Get more if it does well. I like the square design it both gives more space, and makes more sense in stacking for cabinet, it looks modern enough and dressy enough for a more formal meal....

Quote:
Today, Corelle, while still the original break-, crack-, chip-, scratch-, and stain-resistant glass dinnerware, is also about style and flair, from its sprightly and lighter-weight Livingware and Lifestyles lines to its Corelle Ultra, which is some 70 percent thicker and weightier than the former. And in a separate category is the newest member of the tabletop family, Corelle Hearthstone, a durable stoneware collection that features bold, dramatic solids in striking square and round shapes.

Made of Vitrelle, an advanced glass material, Corelle dinnerware is formed from a ribbon of molten glass that emerges from a giant melting tank in a continuous ribbon "sandwich" consisting of a layer of white core glass with a top and bottom layer of clear glaze. The process creates a lightweight yet durable dinnerware whose resistance to breakage far exceeds that of any single glass composition.

Corelle Ultra, the recipient of a 2005 Consumers Digest Best Buy award, is a next-generation tabletop collection. Made of Vitrelle2, the tableware is 70 percent heavier than Vitrelle1. Ultra, designed to appeal to style-conscious consumers who are seeking distinctive dinnerware for everyday use and entertaining, combines Corelle's trademark design and durability with a new weight and a larger plate size.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those corelle's look really good in that photo. I like that they are square. 22% more room for food than the same diameter round plate!! I also love the deep "well design" of the plates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Tools, Equipment, and Gadgets All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum