Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need recipe for cooking a prime rib on a spit over charcoal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbibuc1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Need recipe for cooking a prime rib on a spit over charcoal Reply with quote

Has any one ever cooked a boneless prime rib roast on a spit over a charcoal grill? Looking at how to prepare the roast, cooking times and temp to cook it at. Need to know before christmas as this is what we are having and as we all know this is an expensive cut of meat not to mention the fact that it is our meal for christmas and want to do it right.
GaryProtein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook it at a low temperature with a temperature probe or oven thermometer inserted. When the deepest internal part approaches 120, take it off the heat, let it rest for 20 minutes or so and then put it back over a roaring bed of high heat coals for about 15 minutes, or until the outside of the roast has a crust on it. It should be delicious. The only downside of the roast beef on a spit is the "bullet hole" seen in every slice from the spit! The meat is wonderful.
skramy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to cook by indirect heat and use a large foil pan under the roast. I had a major flare-up once with prime rib because of all the fat. I had my grill too hot thinking I would sear the meat at 400 degrees, let the charcoal go an hour, then add just a few briquets to slow cook the remaining time. I did sear the roast well, but for a few minutes, I thought my weber was going to melt down. I had better luck by making sure I cooked the prime rib a second time using low, slow cooking. (275 - 300 degrees). I also used a cake foil pan with higher sides than the usual weber foil pan. A twelve pound roast took about 3 1/2 hours to reach medium rare, but the long, slow cooking was worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Cooking Tips All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum