Cooking For Engineers Forum Index Cooking For Engineers
Analytical cooking discussed.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recipe File: Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggrandmother

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

In addition to the basic Campbell's Green Bean Casserole, we have always added 1 tsp. soy sauce and a small can of sliced mushrooms. We have also added a can of sliced water chestnuts or sliced toasted almonds. The basic recipe is just that....a wonderful basic recipe. It's always on the table at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Thanks, Campbells.
5_5_16_5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

Green Bean Casserole was never a favorite with my family, and now my husband hates mushrooms, so he won't eat it...but I made Green Bean Casserole with chicken (and no french fried onions...ick...) and then stuffed portobella mushrooms with it. My friend like it so much she went home and made it for her boyfriend. ...I think the friend I got the recipe from said it was one of Rachel Ray's or something...but whatever, it was good!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Green bean casserole additions Reply with quote

Our office has pot lucks a few times a year and I discovered that 1) this is an easy recipe to whip together 2) everybody likes it - I never get left overs! Over the years I've doctored it up a bit with garlic, basil, oregano, and substitute the real milk with soy milk. Thanks for keeping this culinary tradition alive!
Marian Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

I recently moved into a new family...new marriage...I tried fancy recipes and noone hardly touched them...BOOHOO...but this simple recipe always get eaten all up! Big smile
mudduck

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: green bean cassarole Reply with quote

We took green bean cassarole to a thanksgiving party with some Indian friends and have experimented with it several times. One, we always make our own mushroom soup, using just the plain white mushrooms from the supermarket. Two, we've used fresh, canned, and frozen green beans. Frozen are fine.

Three, French's fried onions are pretty expensive. We found that a neighborhood Indian supermarket has a one-pound bag of golden friend onions for two dollars or so. (All the spices and toppings at the Indian supermarket come in giant size.) We use the Indian fried onions in the green bean dish and on other vegetable servings as well.

Mudduck
Jackson Heights
Queens, NYC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Casserole Reply with quote

This shit is nasty...this casserole never seems to taste good
cmsquaredc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Green Bean Casserole Reply with quote

Smile I am excited now. I am going to use the idea of adding 2 teaspoons of Lea and Perrins and adding the 2 cups of swiss cheese! Thanks guys!
Carol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: string green beans Reply with quote

I always ate this with string green beans but never made it myself. Now I have to make it and the can says to use cut green beans. There isn't a major difference by not using the cut green beans is there?
Michael Chu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: string green beans Reply with quote

Carol wrote:
I always ate this with string green beans but never made it myself. Now I have to make it and the can says to use cut green beans. There isn't a major difference by not using the cut green beans is there?

Sometimes green beans are called string beans. Most likely they are the same vegetable - but there could be a chance that what you're calling string beans is different from what I'm calling green beans. My guess is that it'll taste just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: First Time Reply with quote

It Just cooked green bean casorole for the First time. it came out wonderful!! Smile
Mike Oxbig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Green Beans Reply with quote

I really enjoy using the canned beans over the frozen beans. I think the texture is sexy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Canned beats frozen Reply with quote

If you use the french cut green beans they are MUCH MUCH better than frozen ones. Also, instead of mozarella cheese, try cheddar cheese spread. Thats what my family does and there is always a battle over who can get more! Its the first dish to be finished up at gatherings!
fdsajkl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: horrible results Reply with quote

It has been more than a few years since I have cooked Thanksgiving dinner for a group of people so I decided I would go the traditional route including the green bean casserole. What a disappointment!

I followed the instructions on the can of fried onions but substituted fresh French-cut green beans instead of frozen ones in the recipe, ounce for ounce. I figured, how could you go wrong using fresh green beans? Well, it wasn't anything like I remembered from Thanksgiving's of the past when other people served it. Blech!! Very bland and boring. Maybe people dressed it up beyond just the soup, green beans and onions. Even the recipe seems too simple and boring.

Any idea where things went wrong?
SirShazar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family (I'm a single child, so that means me, my mom, and my dad) immigrated to the US seven years ago and we've always either not had thanksgiving or had it at one of our friend's house.

This year we decided to do a thanksgiving dinner and invite a couple of people we know. Me and my mom took on the mission to create the feast.

I was basically incharge of all the classic dishes that neither me or my mom have ever made before. I decided to do my own version of green bean casserole with fresh French beans and homemade mushroom sauce. I made the recipe as I went but it went something like this:

Ingredients:
1/2 package french beans (thin greenbeans from Costco)
1 box white button mushrooms, sliced thin
1/2 medium yellow onion, small dice
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
1T vegetable oil
1/2t sage
1/2t thyme
1t salt
1t black pepper
box of french fried onions

Directions:
1. Blanch french beans
2. Saute onion till translucent and than add the mushrooms and saute till golden
3. Add heavy cream, milk, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for four minutes
4. Put the mixture in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth or slightly chunky.
5. Mix with green beans, decorate with french fried onions, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Maddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: green bean casserole Reply with quote

I make this casserole for the holidays every year - but...i make mine with Campbells cream of celery soup. Years ago when the green bean casserole first became popular this is the soup that was used -then it was changed to cream of mushroom. We still enjoy the original cream of celery version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking For Engineers Forum Index -> Comments Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: